TWS clock ~15 seconds behind

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by jpatet, Jul 25, 2006.

1. jpatet

jpatet

It seems that the TWS clock is ~15 seconds behind. It's been this way since Sunday evening. Anyone else notice this?

2. alanm

alanm

Not mine.

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

I have one of those automatic utility's that syncs my computer clock every day with some super duper "official" clock. As of this post IB's clock is dead on with mine.

4. jpatet

jpatet

alamn, TL, thank you for your replies; now I know it’s something on my end. My computer’s clock is in sync with the atomic clock. Any idea why my TWS clock is lagging as I would like to correct that?

5. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

And you do have TWS Configure>View>Display server time checked?

I assume you do. Uncheck it. Close TWS down. Relaunch TWS. Then recheck it.

If that doesn't work, try another time server on atomic clock program and manually sync. One that uses UDP protocol. I've had the same problem and realized it was the program and not TWS.

I'm using dimension 4 as my clock sync program.

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Sorry I wouldn't have a clue. One of the IB reps will probably see this thread. Hopefully they can steer you in the right direction.
    Have you tried IB customer service yet?

7. alanm

alanm

8. JackR

JackR

I've noticed the following:

My system uses Dimension 4 ( www.thinkman.com ) to time sync.

I open only TWS. The TWS server time box shows within 20 seconds of the PC time. After some period of time that varies between 3 minutes and 20 minutes the TWS server time has corrected to match the D4 obtained and synchronized time.

If I subsequently open a TWS chart or Book Trader the TWS server time jumps away from the time shown (sometimes ahead and sometimes back) and then eventually gets in sync with the PC clock (D4). According to IB's release notes for TWS this should not happen but I've never opened a trouble ticket about it.

Jack

9. WinXP has built-in synch function, but it appears it's not reliable. :(

Anyway, how about use your PC clock (with third-party good auto-synch functions), instead of relying on TWS clock?

10. jpatet

jpatet

ddunbar, thanks, I tried unchecking, shutting down and rechecking to no avail. (The chart’s clock on the upper bar matches the TWS clock and it stayed put as there’s no way to eliminate it that I can find.) And I manually sync to an atomic clock (I don’t use a program). But thanks for trying to help.

TL, yes, I tried IB chat. The rep said that the server clock is synced with my computer clock---I know that’s not right so I just thanked her, said goodbye and came here.

alanm, my computer’s clock is in sync with the closing bell, the TWS clock is delayed. Also, the quotes are timely, for example on Sunday evening at the open of ES, the trades started about 15 seconds before TWS’ 6 p.m. Eastern.

Jack, it’s interesting how your TWS clock corrects itself after 3 to 20 minutes. The only other time this happened to me was a few months ago and the TWS clock was minutes off, then corrected itself after a couple of hours. I was hoping it would do that this time but it hasn’t yet. Also, I also have chart and Book Trader open so thanks for your thoughts on that. I’ll play with them to see if it makes a difference.

Trader Herry, yes I could eliminate the TWS clock and rely on my own but I’ll do that as a last resort as I am optimistic that I will be able to fix this with everyone’s help. Thanks for that suggestion.

#10     Jul 25, 2006