two operating systems on same computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoodooman, Jul 1, 2010.

1. I was trying to reinstall my operating system and ended up with two windows vista operating systems on my dell computer.

Need to get rid of one. Does anyone know how to do that?:confused:

2. Get Windows 7.

3. Are you serious? Why would I want to do that?

4. When you did the reformat you should have deleted the old partition, which would delete old OS, and then install OS and create new partition. You can probably find vids on Youtube.

5. I went to msn and it said that you could reinstall the vista over the old one and that you couldn't uninstall the first one. That this would be done by the reinstall. Actually, now I want tp keep the original one.

6. jprad

jprad

Call Dell tech support and ask them how to do a factory restore for your model computer.

Everything's going to get wiped, so if you have any important data you need to first save it to something outside your computer, most likely, a writable CD/DVD disc.

7. Thanks for the reply, but I don't want to do that. I want to remove the one that I put on last.

8. Because VISTA sucks and Win7 sucks less. Best choice as voiced by many is to install WinXP.

9. The description seems a bit confusing. How can you end up with having 2 operating systems (and of the same Vista)?

During the install of Windows, it should detect that there is already a version of Windows installed and prompt you if you want to save it. If you do want to save it, it will rename the old "Windows" folder as "Windows.old". You only boot from the files that are in the current "Windows" folder.

Unless you choose to configure a dual boot system. And in that case, I believe, the 2 different OS's are stored in different partitions.

If it is true that you have the "Windows.old" folder, can't you just delete all files from that folder?

What does it mean by "you want to delete one of the operating systems"?

10. there is no windows.old or new on my computer but there are two vista operating systems on it and when you start up. you can choose the one that you want to use.

#10     Jul 1, 2010