Two networks sharing one internet connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stock_punter, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Hi Everyone,

I am very impressed by the technical knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge of the EliteTrader members. You guys and gals are awesome!

Here's a question for you:

Say I have two sets of networked computers.

One set of computers are networked togehter via ethernet cables.

The other set is networked together via Aviator wireless networking cards.

Now we have just one broadband connection via @home cable modem. The cable modem is attached to one of the computers on the wireless network. This same computer is running Sygate internet connection sharing software. All the computers on the wireless network are able to share the connection fine.

The challenge is, how do we get the computers on the Ethernet networked computers to share the connection as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-- Punter

2. Turok

Turok

Do like a lot of us here and buy a $80 Linksys router. All your networks are then linked through the router along with your broadband connection.

JB

3. Is that all I have to do? So easy! Someone had told me before that I needed to get some sort of bridging software.

Thanks. Will look into it.

-- Punter

4. Turok

Turok

Yep. There was a thread about this a few months ago and there was a quite a few of us using the same Model number LinkSys (BEFSR41 V.2). I bought it, hooked it up, and forgot about it. I've got two separate ethernet networks running off mine.

Good luck

JB

5. Hi Turok,

I just realized that I have one wireless network and one ethernet network.

If I buy a router, how do I connect the wireless network to the router as the wireless network doesn't use ethernet cables?

Thanks.

-- Punter

6. Turok

Turok

Hmmm...I would assume that at least one of the units using the wireless cards also has an ethernet card. ???

If not, then you would need to install an ethernet card in one of them

JB

7. Hi Turok,

Yes, we can install an ethernet card into a computer that has the wireless networking card. Let's call this computer X.

We shall give it a shot. I think we understand how to do it.

-- Punter

8. Don't you have a wireless hub?

My wireless LAN simply has a wireless hub plugged into my 100 MB switch. The Inet router is also connected to the 100 MB switch so effectively it's one big single LAN that just has some devices that use wireless media vs. wired media.

9. Hi AA,

Thanks for your reply.

In answer to your question: No.

We have an old wireless network system (Aviator) that is before the current wireless standard became popular.

I think the solution is to get a router. We'll attach the cable modem to the router, and the ethernet network to the router.

We'll also have a computer that has both an aviator and ethernet card attached to the router as well. This computer will run Sygate in order to route the internet requests to the proper computer on the wireless network.

I think this will work, but won't know until we try it.

Thanks for your time.

-- Punter