Two mice on one computer...Y-Mouse?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chisel, Jan 30, 2004.

1. gms

gms

The term "mice" (as a plural for "computer mouse") grew in popularity simply because of common usage among everyday people. But "mice" refers to rodents, not computer peripherals. Microsoft uses the term "mouse devices" to signify the plural, and has done officially since 1995 when they published "Microsoft's Manual of Style for Technical Writers", under the heading, "Referring to the Mouse Correctly", instructing employees to avoid the term "mice", although they do sometimes refer to the plural, "mouses" (as in their renaming a quickbasic directory from "mouse" to "mouses").

But the bigger problem is walking into a computer store and up to the salesman and asking him if he has mouse balls.

#11     Jan 30, 2004
  2. mark1

mark1 Guest

But the bigger problem is walking into a computer store and up to the salesman and asking him if he has mouse balls.

:D :D :D

#12     Jan 30, 2004
  3. Doing it all the time. Perfect game settings, fastest actions.

#13     Jan 30, 2004
  4. TGregg

TGregg

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. However, a Yahoo search of "keyboards mouses" produces 600 hits, while "keyboards mice" produces about 586,000 hits. I'd suggest that common usage has adapted the "rodent" plural for mouse. And when common opinion weighs heavily in, that's where it's gonna go. Take the meaning of peruse for instance. Most folks think it means to glance through, but it really means to study thoroughly (check any handy dictionary). Eventually, the meaning will be changed to reflect the opinion of the Great Unwashed.

:D :D :D

#14     Jan 30, 2004
  5. gms

gms

And everyone thinks "podium" means the "lectern", but it denotes the stage floor (note the prefix 'pod' for feet). And people think "loose" means "lose" and 'there's" means "theirs" and then there's that weird phenomena about pluralizing by incorrectly adding an apostrophe and an s.

Ever read a book or speech written, say, in 1910 or before? Generally, the vocabulary and style of prose is impressive, to say the least. It's unbelievable people were expected, let alone able, to comprehend that back then, and it shows up how our common mastery of the language has eroded over such a short time. But then, they probably would've named the mouse, "A Contraption for Implementation of Computer Commands".

#15     Jan 30, 2004
  6. nice mice

#16     Jan 30, 2004
  7. pspr

pspr

100 years ago you only had to learn the 3 R's (apostrophe needed here) so they learned them well. There was no calculus, biology, business, etc., etc. taught to the common man.

#17     Jan 30, 2004
  8. If I hook up 3 of those contraptions....can I call them "3 blind mice" ?

Michael B.

#18     Jan 31, 2004
  9. Diode

Diode

People are idiots. This is one of the things you must always remember if you wish to succeed in life.

Disclaimer: I can get away with saying that, because I'm a people too.

#19     Jan 31, 2004
  10. TGregg

TGregg

That's interesting as well. There was always something "weird" about calling that thing a podium that I could never quite put my finger on, until you explained this. Thanks.

Our English Language has achieved an astonishing ability for expression by virtue of being extremely malleable. That of course will have downsides to go with the upsides. One hopes that we can make the most of the upside while minimizing the impact of the down.

T

#20     Jan 31, 2004