Two horrendous calls by financiers on the music industry

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Ghost of Cutten, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Hugh Hendry is way overrated. I don't know where he gets his reputation from other than his loud mouth.

#11     Sep 8, 2010
  2. Maybe they bet (360 deal) will be the future for music?

#12     Sep 8, 2010
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

I got curious, so:

"Hendry avoided risky areas in the run-up to the financial crisis, a strategy that was controversial with some clients at the time. But as a result the worst ever year for his flagship Eclectica fund was a 3% drop while it returned more than 50% in its best year. It has generated an average return of 11% since its launch 4 years ago."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/busin...offshore-to-avoid-brussels-penalties-1.993348

#13     Sep 8, 2010
  4. The initial post said Hendry sold out of his investment. Did he sell at a profit? If the answer is yes, why did he make a horrendous call? Is there a problem with making a profit.

As to the rest of your theory, pretty much every response on this thread blows up your points. At the right price, pretty much any business can be a good investment.

Berkshire Hathaway was a textile manufacturer in New England for crying out loud. I believe Buffet also bought a trading stamp company. Now that was a dying business, but Buffet made a fortune with it.

#14     Sep 8, 2010
  5. LeeD

LeeD

The figures mean in the other 2 years (out of 4 the fund was around) the return was in low single per cent, which is far from spectacular. Something like
    year 1: 2%
    year 2: 50%
    year 3: 2%
    year 4: -3%

#15     Sep 8, 2010
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

I would say 95% of the investors in the last 4 years would disagree... :)

But you did have a point...

#16     Sep 8, 2010
  7. Did Hendry make a profit?

ETA:
    Oops, didn't see the previous post asking the same question.

#17     Sep 8, 2010
  8. Could be the return of any amature investor out there.

#18     Sep 9, 2010
  9. AK100

AK100

Bet Hendry and his gang got paid well though.

See, it's not so much about making your clients' a good return as long as you get paid first.

#19     Sep 9, 2010
  10. What has any of that got to do with whether it was a good call to invest? They paid peak cycle earnings for a business in secular decline. The cashflows of the business have been collapsing, it has lost billions in just the last 3 years. The investment has been a total disaster.

#20     Sep 9, 2010