Two down days indicator

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by indicator777, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Has anyone used the two down day indicator? I found it intriguing in this article this simple indicator has worked for so long and making YTD 17.5% in SPY.

2. Overnight

Overnight

I stopped reading after the first paragraph.

"This simple but persistent anomaly shows the U.S. stock market has been far from efficient. The anomaly is present due to highly negative serial correlation in market returns and when used as a strategy, year-to-date has outperformed SPY buy and hold by 150 basis points. It’s interesting this simple anomaly has been so persistent..."

Uh huh. A persistent anomaly.

You want to know what is the true and persistent anomaly? The fact that since inception, the major stock indices do nothing but go up over time.

So they can all KISS MY ASS, THESE DAMNED INDICATOR PEOPLE!

PLEASE, BUY MY INDICATOR, SO YOU CAN POSSIBLY MAKE A FEW PERCENT MORE THAN THE INDEX YOU ARE TRACKING!

Really? Have a steaming hearty cup of STFU Mr. Indicator. Seriously.

(Not you OP, but the author of the article.)

Everyone has a gimmick they are trying to sell. They can all bite a chode.

Trader200K, jys78 and SouthbeachCTA like this.
  3. Stock indices are baskets of stocks. Stocks represent ownership in business entities. Business entities are valued based upon future free cash flows and the discount rate. Free cash flows have been rising for major stocks as the discount rate has fallen. Hence, the value of stock market indices should, in general, move up.

For market indices to move down for an extended period of time:
    1. Cash flows need to sequentially come in lower than expected for the time period you are hoping for (a 1-year bear market needs multiple quarters of earnings declines)
    2. Discount rates need to be materially higher than free cash flow growth rates for multiple periods

Otherwise, the best you'll get is a quick move own to BTFD!

Nobert likes this.
  4. easymon1

easymon1

Nope, but if you hum a few bars we can pick it up.
    What are the instructions for your Entry trigger, Stop Placement, Exit trigger?

Trade Prophet likes this.
  5. You are asking a lot of questions, but you have been at this for a long time (September 2007!). Read @Overnight's Journal??? It is weird, back in 2007, I was no longer asking ANY questions. I had to figure it out all myself (within myself). It was all very internal/personal at that stage...

image1.png

6. maxinger

maxinger

don't click the link !!!

& don't use those indicators!
    go develop your own holy grail.

some even develop their own indicator and sell it.

jys78 and ChipShotTrader like this.
  7. Can you tell us how you really feel?
    :)

Trader200K likes this.
  8. NazSherpa

NazSherpa

I've never used the indicator but the entire Taylor Trading Technique is based upon a similar concept. Marty Schwartz, one of the greatest S&P traders of all times referred to it as 'the greater fool theory' A host of other well known traders rely on similar logic. It's also the departure point for several successful quant strategies. I'm not sure why a person would need an indicator for it?

9. NazSherpa

NazSherpa

I appreciate your passion. The interesting thing is that the same logic is profitable on the short side. (and has been for decades) What do you think about that?

10. jys78

jys78

lol. Scam.

#10     Jul 3, 2021