two CPU's?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biologymajor, Aug 1, 2006.

1. So what could go wrong if you don't have the recommended cpu power ? I use a 2.2 ghz while eSignal recommends a 2.6 ghz- sometimes I run messenger to talk with other traders(sensible ones ) news websites and my brokerage all on three monitors- RAM is 1GB..so far my orders fill at market within 2 seconds.
    8 months with this computer and no troubles (yet)
    Seriously , can anything go wrong due to having a lighter duty processor ?
    will it melt down and catch fire ??:)

#51     Aug 5, 2006
  2. Not to mention potential stability and heat issues. Really bad idea for a trading machine.

#52     Aug 5, 2006
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

#53     Aug 5, 2006
  4. I have a top of the line dual-core Dell XPS bought in January -- why do the quotes on my TWS still get clogged up from time to time? :(

#54     Aug 5, 2006
  5. I don't mean the laptops Nkhoi, I mean the new standalone processors ... for about 215 retail you can buy a std processor that can be overclocked up to the extreme processor performance levels with std cooling (or not overclocked if u wish).

#55     Aug 5, 2006
  6. segv

segv

By all means, pay for the extra processor if it makes you feel better. As for me, I know empirically that it is not worth the risk or the money. And yes, there is additional risk with the multicore/multiprocessor code path.

-segv

#56     Aug 5, 2006
  7. Would we need a dual processor for speed if we are using strategy runner and our fills are exectuted and stores on strategy runner servers and not our own computers?

#57     Aug 5, 2006
  8. I would wait until Windows Vista comes out to buy a new system. Windows Vista will only run on 64 bit processors. The computers they are selling now, do not have 64 bit processors. At least the town I live in doesn't. Your's might.

#58     Aug 5, 2006
  9. That isn't correct. Vista will ship in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Microsoft isn't going to give away the huge upgrade market. They want as many current PC users as possible to upgrade.

#59     Aug 5, 2006
  10. nkhoi

nkhoi

just look for sticker say "WINDOWS VISTA™ CAPABLE "

#60     Aug 5, 2006