Twin monitor problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neoxx, Jan 28, 2006.

1. thruline

thruline

Thanks, guys, much appreciated!

#11     Jan 29, 2006
  2. Moreagr

Moreagr

i got 2 redeon (spl?) ati dual head 64mb cards the cheapest ones work fine especially if your not gaming and just using them for trading.

i got mine running for almost 1 1/2 years and they work great

#12     Jan 29, 2006
  3. thruline

thruline

Does anyone use the Matrox G200 MMS 32mb quad head card? Is that enough memory for trading?

Thanks.

#13     Feb 2, 2006
  4. I am right now, and my two trading buddies do too. Buy a used one off of E bay from Hypercomm systems I think $120 USD approx. Their comm. is poor but my card arrived and works well. I run 3 screens my buddies 4 and all is fine.

Dan

#14     Feb 2, 2006
  5. mokwit

mokwit

As I understand it yes, but bear in mind G200 is not supported anymore by Matrox and is analog only, not DVI, but can be picked up for $200 vs $600 for G450. Not a user, just looked at options recently.

#15     Feb 2, 2006
  6. Thats not quite right. The early G200 MMS were analog only. Later ones are both, but you need the right cable for DVI.I have one running DVI.

#16     Feb 2, 2006
  7. The G200 MMS will support up to 1280 x 1024 in 16 bit colour - four screens. Thats the limit imposed by the 32 MByte memory.

As well as G200 MMS, I also have an Nvidia 280 NVS AGP dual head card. I am running both under Linux so your milage may vary under Windows.

This Nvidia card is fanless, dual vga or dual DVI, and intended for 2D graphics applications such as charting. It is MUCH faster than the G200. Several times as fast. It will also do 1600 x1200 DVI which some cards won't. You can get these on EBay very cheaply ( ~ $ 40) . They come in AGP, PCI or PCI Express.

For me the Nvidia is a much better option the the Matrox G200.

#17     Feb 2, 2006
  8. thruline

thruline

Thanks for the info on vid cards--everyone.

I've looked at a bunch of monitors. Any thoughts on monitor brand, size, any other technical requirements to consider?

I also have been looking at the ergotronic and peerless monitor mounts/stands. Do you think this is needed? I guess if you're running three or more you have to go that way to conserve space. Lots to consider...

Thru

#18     Feb 2, 2006
  9. If the space is not an issue, wouldn't be easier just to buy second cheap computer and run it through router ? Cost is only slightly higher and you have a backup just in case your main pc crashes.

#19     Feb 3, 2006
  10. gordo

gordo

My system is the same setup as the original poster's. However, I am currently running dual monitors flawlessly with only one problem. I could use more screen space. I would like to add at least one more monitor, for order entry and chat room if nothing else. A fourth would be ideal for extra chart monitoring. Would the Nvidia 280 Quadro AGP have any compatibility issues with my ATI Radeon x300 SE PCI Express card? I've read through a number of posts here, and this technical stuff is always a little foggy to me. You guys seem to have a good handle on it, and I appreciate your help. I plan on just adding a couple of CRT's for now, and possibly better LCD's in the future. Thanks guys.

Gordo

#20     Feb 4, 2006