Twenty-twelve [P&L]

Discussion in 'Journals' started by masterm1ne, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Or use Multicharts with esignal, and if you want to know how to do investment banking, (I agree it doesn't help with trading), then you need to get a CFA credential to be qualified to work with investment bankers.

#51     Feb 21, 2012
  2. it's much more limited than that even; unless you want to manage people's portfolios, I'm not sure how a CFA would help in investment banking (sure, some financial reporting and valuation, but probably nowhere near the level you'd need).

it really seems that, to have the best chance at success in independent trading, you need stats and programming knowledge. at least that's my two cents.

#52     Feb 22, 2012
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I found the level 3 helped me. It made me think about things I hadn't thought about before and it helped me define problems I had experienced before but couldn't articulate to myself.

I recommend everyone who manages money study for the Level 3 (but not necessarily take all the exams or go for the credential).

#53     Feb 22, 2012
  4. what particular aspect? it sounds like you're referring to the behavioral finance sections?

#54     Feb 22, 2012
  5. Still here, still trading, still at $24,XXX.

I need do some testing. Due to the results I've had this far I've kinda set trading on the back burner.

#55     Feb 23, 2012
  6. jinxu

jinxu

You need to get over this. This is completely EGO related. In the end, it doesn't even matter. No one really cares if you're a genius trader; they only care whether you're making money or not.

#56     Feb 25, 2012
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

That plus the return calculations. Also even those IPS statements I found interesting because it helped me understand why you would trade the way you would trade.

Mostly what I found was that as I was reading the materials I would be reminded of problems I or my colleagues had encountered in the past and could not articulate well.

#57     Feb 25, 2012
  8. This has absolutely no bearing on my trading....

@ 24k (+0%)

#58     Feb 25, 2012
  9. No, it does, especially ego. If you're not trading with a system you've analyzed then you have no system, and ego is the defacto root cause of your losses.

#59     Feb 25, 2012
  10. It has become clear to be good at this requires a consant process of revision, like many things.

I should take back my statements of attempting to trade pure price action. My current experience as well as study of charts show that without something other than price action, it's very difficult to find high probability trades. I have traded many technical patterns alone. Obviously, it hasn't been a stellar approach. There are possibly pure price patterns out there that can make money, but to me, there are indicators that very logically explain when and where the price should go.

So.... I revised my entry plan to include at least 1 indicator other than price, which there are several. Basically, I'm still looking for a trendline break in the direction an indicator points to.

I think the most important part of trading is the exit strategy. In the past I haven't put too much emphasis on this - except by using tight stops. This is only part of the equation. I need to figure out how to take profits as well. All my tests show in most cases you lose or make a little, and few cases you make a lot, with my current exit plan.

I still don't believe I should invest time in creating a program to test ideas. The things I observe in the market do not have an obvious fixed pattern. Therefore, as I've explained before, I don't think profitable algos are created easily and on top of that I don't think they persist well. Not only that, but because I think avoiding intra-day is more worth while (especially when it comes time to pay the piper), I only need to check the market a few times a week, which I can easily do without automation. I'll update my edge direction weekly, and check price after the close.

@ $24k (+0%)

#60     Feb 27, 2012