TV is dying. Drop your cable.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Very clever of companies like Apple/Netflix/Hulu to train viewers that very low bitrate streaming or downloadable content is just as good as high-bitrate broadcast tv or cable.

It seems convenience and price beats quality. Sure it's 1080i or 720p, but do you think a 2gb download has as much picture content as a 25gb blu ray disc?

The sweet spot is free OTA television, as long as you have the means to record and time-shift it.

#11     Jun 7, 2012
  2. J Ski

J Ski

We disconnected the dish around August 2011, or a little before.
    I find, that when I go somewhere like a doctors office where there
    is tv playing, that it is annoying and intrusive.
    Same feeling as you,"I hate to think of the YEARS of my time I wasted watching shit that doesn't matter".
    I do things at night now, like practice guitar, maybe watch some online guitar lessons,
    or study some stock charts.Doing rather than passive filling brain with useless shit:).

You get used to doing things late into the night, where before you were sitting
    and doing nothing.
    If I want to watch something like a movie, then I have found that, you can
    go online and watch just about anything you want now.

#12     Jun 9, 2012
  3. Yes its all on there. It's just a matter of time until the streaming quality catches up with TV quality now. And that really is just down to live events, sports, news etc.

Bloomberg TV online is amazing quality now.

http://www.bloomberg.com/tv/

And it only gets better with every iteration.

#13     Jun 9, 2012
  4. Good points.
    But how did we invent tv, or discover America?

I guess, it is same for tv as for most things, overdoing it/ or using it as a drug or filling up the void is not so good. (disclaimer: i don't have a tv :) )

#14     Jun 9, 2012
  5. pspr

pspr

I love my TV. I have six around the house. If I'm home, one or more are on unless I'm sleeping and even then sometimes.

Don't tread on my freedom or my TV. :p

#15     Jun 9, 2012
  6. J Ski

J Ski

So, being interested in playing music, and not just playing songs that others
    have created, i was researching some music creation software this morning and
    found a really interesting video.
    It may make some viewers squeamish, but, is quite entertaining.
    I can't remember how to get the video into the post other than showing the url. Somebody,
    help me out here :(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr_g8kY8Lk4&feature=youtu.be

#16     Jun 10, 2012