TurtleTrader

Discussion in 'Options' started by The Rookie, Feb 4, 2019.

1. tomorton

tomorton

Yes, its still true, it will always be true. He did say himself that the reason the Turtles failed to make money was because they failed to follow the strategy.

Anyway, so many respected traders and investors lost money as well as making it, that their final account balance cannot be a deciding factor on their trading style or strategy. Partly why I never ask posters to show their trading balance or equity curve or whatever. Meaningless if you're searching for a better strategy.

#11     Feb 4, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. %%
    I wish it was as simple as buy new highes; or sell new lows. But waiting on a 2008 doWntrend, or $300 new spy HI, SPY is too slow-even for me LOL:D:D:D:D:D:D,:D:D

#12     Feb 4, 2019
  3. Go and look on the Trading Blox Forum. Several of us backtested the original strategy up to about 2010 and it became a disaster. Somewhere or other I wrote "Tuning up the Turtles" which also later crumbled.

Don't get fixated on the rules. There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING special about them. They had their day.

#13     Feb 4, 2019
    drm7 likes this.
  4. For many years the Turtle system became a milk cow for a bunch of disreputable and stupid non traders some of who still push their crap product.

I can't believe the stupidity of people who can see through the charade.

The system worked back in the day as did any TF system. Now it is not so great. Period.

Eddie Murphy was only an actor!

#14     Feb 4, 2019
  5. qlai

qlai

Wait, are you trying to say insider's info stopped working as well?

#15     Feb 4, 2019
  6. Visaria

Visaria

Murray, who said anything about new ATH or lows? If memory serves, the turtle trader strategies were 20 day high/low and 55 day high/low.

#16     Feb 4, 2019
  7. Visaria

Visaria

Is that forum still going? I was a member there perhaps 10 years ago.

#17     Feb 4, 2019
  8. Dennis talks in Market Wizards a bit about how part of the success came from the strongly trending markets (mostly in commodities, I think beans was a big one) during the time. You could throw a dart and hit a strongly trending market.

#18     Feb 4, 2019
  9. tomorton

tomorton

Absolutely sure Dennis and others said the rules were not the special part of the strategy, it was the discipline to follow them.

But I do hear from time to time that trend-following cannot work now. That it was a temporary successful formula that could only work in the 80's or 90's or whenever. That there are now so many people doing it that it has been arbitraged out of the markets.

Obviously, trends are passing phenomena, they all eventually end. They can only exist in a percentage of market price charts at any one time. But perhaps you could point to some charts that demonstrate that trends never now occur. To me, a chart from 1989 looks structurally identical to what we see in 2019.

#19     Feb 5, 2019
    qlai likes this.
  10. It seems the Turtle system was very effective during the 10 year bull. Difficult to do now a days? Thanks for replies.

#20     Feb 5, 2019