TurtleTrader

Discussion in 'Options' started by The Rookie, Feb 4, 2019.

1. What is your opinion of this system?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. tomorton

tomorton

It worked. Trend-following with a volatility-based stop will always work if coupled with strict position sizing and pyramiding, though I hate buying at a new high/selling at a new low.

3. Take a look at CTA performance over the last 5 to 10 years Winton are pretty well pulling out of TF. Too much money has wrecked the game. Sadly that has not stopped non trading salesmen like Covel from flogging his dead horse.

4. Visaria

Visaria

I love doing this. It's so concrete in that no need to figure out anything with regard to entry. It's the lazy man's entry. Fortunately, I can't break this (v profitable) habit.

5. tomorton

tomorton

OK, yes, on paper it works. I look forward to trying this with a bit more discipline on the best trends.

6. Visaria

Visaria

The turtle rules are available for free on the web...do not pay Covel 3 grand for them.

murray t turtle and tomorton like this.
  7. Corto

Corto

You should know that the most famous turtle, Richard Dennis continued to trade after the turtle experiment and lost big time including other people's money.

8. %%
    I seldom hate selling ''a new low'' because i seldom do that LOL. Sell 200 lows?? Yes some times.
    Another big problem, stock indexes/ETFs are not known for big trends in FEB. SDOW was not invented when the turtle system was raking off many millions .

The markets changed; last FEB ,SDOW did big trend for 2 weeks.Takes a real good trend to buy a high, 52 week high. QQQ has some, maybe not like in 1999, or 2008 I've never seen a Dow/DIA i wanted to buy; but they pay good dividends LOL.:D:D

9. tomorton

tomorton

True, but only after he failed to follow his own strategy's rules..........

10. %%
    That sounds like a small mistake[ lawsuit for not following rules; since he settled for $2.5 million:caution::caution::D:D:D:D:D
    Also since was aiming @ that time for big trends, have to consider that.........
    a]Most of what he taught is still true; Helpful to watch all/ every quote/quotes=false.
    b].........
    DD]He also did not think stocks/indexes trended as well as oil + silver................................That's true; but they can have less Draw Downs.LOL

#10     Feb 4, 2019