Turtle Trading

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by skiabox, Mar 12, 2003.

1. man

man

why donT they mention jerry parker? and I heard a rumor that dennis was kind forced to let others trade with his money since he had some trouble with trading authorities. would shed different light on the whole romantic story. but I do not have researched that in any detail - might be just rumors.

peace

#31     Apr 12, 2003
  2. man

man

BTW try any trend following technique at the end of the nineties - hard to not make money.

#32     Apr 12, 2003
  3. :)

#33     Apr 12, 2003
  4. I don't know if this information is true. But I've heard some famous managers are still short the BIG SP's from late 2000.

trend

#34     Apr 12, 2003
  5. Agree....

It still makes money, too.

trend

#35     Apr 12, 2003
  6. man

man

trend
    but I doubt five years averages of 80something percent. at that time (before or just at the early stage of windows!) playing systematic on many markets was a tough game. simply gathering the data took substantial effort. computerised trading as such was an edge at that time.

peace

#36     Apr 13, 2003
  7. agree..

good trade!

trend:)

#37     Apr 14, 2003
  8. The Turtle breakout system is a system coined by Richard Donchian. Buy/Sell 20 day or 55 day breakouts with a few simple rules thrown in.

However, the KEY to this system or any other trading system is Money Management. Risk 1%-2% per trade, keep total Heat under 15%-20%, diversification, strict adherence to risk rules!

Great money managers like Soros, Paul Jones, Dunn, Rotella, Bacon, and Kovner keep their risk in control. Their able to earn very good returns for the risk they take, compound those returns year after year after year... and make huge fortunes by managing other people money! Why? because they don't "BLOW OUT" like other wannabe hedge fund managers, who do not respect the risk.

happy trading:)

#38     Apr 15, 2003
  9. man

man

risk management
    it is more than that. just to trade break outs and not risking more than x% per trade is not enough for CTAs today. this is too simply. there is much more to it.

peace

#39     Apr 16, 2003
  10. Boib

Boib

This thread prompted me to reread Jack Schwagers interview with Richard Dennis in Market Wizards. I don't know if Dennis got back into trading but at the end of the interview he had quit trading after his fund lost 50% in a year. :mad:

#40     Apr 18, 2003