Turtle Trading... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by cfree5119, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Thank you for the article. I am familiar and understood those concepts in my mind but never quantified them with equations. It helps understand the follies of trend following.

I know many people were unsuccessful with the turtle system from 07-09 but what about from the late 80s to to 07?

#11     Nov 1, 2011
  2. lv_buy

lv_buy

Forget to share another piece of information on trend-following systematic trading system, which turtle method is one of them.

When i backtested a trend-following system using 10 over years of daily data. The return was very good.

If you were to examine the individual trades, you would find that there are periods of losing trades. These are periods where the losses could be 10 to 15 consecuively losses in a row! Of course, there were also successive consecutive wins.

After backtesting many different trend-followng systems, I came to the conclusion that consecutive losses cannot be avoided with a trend-following system. Huge drawdowns are part and parcel of a trend-following system (this is where money management comes in). Any attempt to circumvent such losses would result in the system not being able to capture the big-moves.

#12     Nov 1, 2011
  3. WTF does systematic trading means in reference to backtesting? did your backtests showed positive returns after considering trading costs?

#13     Nov 2, 2011
  4. 99% of backtests look good. It's like the women in a dark bar Saturday early morning. They all look good to you after having 5 or 6 drinks.

#14     Nov 2, 2011
  5. =================
    Turtle Trading Thoughts;
    It's Still Timely Trading Help. GOOG ''turtle trading rules[original turtle rules,Curtis Faith, still free].

But even though Mr Faith doesnt have the same religion/redemption/politics;, as me .
    I still recommend his new book ''Way of the Turtle'' On a new book he gets a royalty.

You may & should improve perhaps improve on some parts of the system;
    BUT the part where you trend trade your account.... that is , cut back when losing, is still simply excellant.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.:cool:

#15     Nov 2, 2011
  6. Looks like there is some angst between Covel and Faith. I just started Covel's "The Complete Trader." I read that Faith's book is written much more systematically. Most likely will read both.

#16     Nov 2, 2011
  7. ==================
    Free119;
    Mr Covel probably has a better big trading picture than anything in Way of the Turtle [Mr Faith book].

Mr Covel posted a picture of Paul Tudor Jones with a yellow post it note on his computer. ''Losers Average Losers''.:D

Not that Paul Tudor Jones is a long term trend follower;
    but it[Losers Average Losers-yellow post it note]. stiil applies to any time frame.:cool:

#17     Nov 2, 2011
  8. It still works because it has long flat periods and a low Sharpe ratio. Hard for people to trade without giving up.

I wish someone would build a massively diversified, trend-following ETF with low fees so I can have pint-sized exposure to this strategy without having to pay some CTA 2/20 for it. Yes, there's LSC but they're not doing all the markets, notably energy.

#18     Nov 2, 2011
  9. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

#19     Nov 3, 2011
  10. Do different markets perform better than others? Futures, commodities, stocks? I am most interested in stocks but didn't know how the system worked across the board.

#20     Nov 3, 2011