Turtle Trading Systems

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by andrasnm, Dec 4, 2002.

1. I actually have Turtletrader.com material. I was able to become a friend of a turtle-styled trader who used to work with both Richard Dennis and Bill Eckhardt. He actually got me a copy of Russell Sand's $2000+ course (sorry, Russell Sands...), and from that I'd have to say Turtletrader.com and Russell Sands' $200 book is the same quality but the expensive course is more legitimate.

#11     Dec 5, 2002
  2. this would be interesting.

#12     Dec 5, 2002
  3. trader3

trader3

I don't know what the course they sell on turtletrader.com is like but a description of it is here:

http://www.turtletrader.com/order.html

Apparently, they sell it for $1000. Is this what you are saying is the same as the $200 Sands book? Or are you saying the free material on the hundreds of pages of turtletrader.com is the same as the Sands $200 dollar book?
    Thanks

#13     Dec 5, 2002
  4. Yes, it's the same...

The thing with Turtletrader.com's $1000 book is that, only less than 10% of the material gets into Turtle, the other 90% is all about contact information for a CTA or Hedge Fund and 3-4 pages about MA trend following system.

Rip off or not... you decide...

#14     Dec 5, 2002
  5. I have both the Sands $200 course and the turtletrader $1000 course. (Yes, I, like most traders have spent my time looking for the Holy Grail)

Here is my short review of each book:

Sands Book:
    This book is very Poorly written. It is full of photocopied pages from his advisory service that are meant to give you a background into his thinking over the years. Yes, you do learn about how he trades the system, but it sure was a lot of work to pull out his rules.

There are a few chapters before all the photocopied advisory service pages that go into some depth on the turtle trading system itself. Again, you really have to work to figure out what he is talking about. There is a page with some easylanguage code, but if I recall correctly it really only supports single contract trading, which cancels out a big portion of the strength of the turtle system.

Turtle Trader Course:
    I purchased this book several years ago. This book was one of my my first exposures to the concept of position sizing techniques as part of your money management strategy. The material was also poorly written, but not as bad as the Sands course. There is a lot of "filler” material in the book too. Also, I didn't like the fact that all the rules are not summarized in any one spot. You still are forced to piece together the entire system yourself as you read through the book.

Overall, my recommendation would be to avoid purchasing either of these books. If you are interested in learning about long term trend trading systems that emphasize money management (position sizing) over entries and exits then I would recommend that you read Van Tharp's book, "Trade you way to Financial Freedom" It covers all the same material and spends a lot more time doing it. Plus it's a lot more understandable than either of the above two books.

my .02

#15     Dec 5, 2002
  6. Moderator Note:

I have moved this thread to "Resources" since it's not really a classified.

#16     Dec 5, 2002
  7. I posted a comment yesterday asking when someone was going to point out that the originator of this thread was a "jerk"

You have deleted my post ...........Is this because the word jerk is offensive? I have read worse on ET and am surprised at the deletion.

Surely if someone uses this forum to promote dubious trading material then they are "fair game"?

Looking forward to your response

Jack.

#17     Dec 6, 2002