Turning $58 into $5,800,000

Discussion in 'Journals' started by exaltedangel09, Dec 5, 2009.

1. BSAM

BSAM

I once turned 50 cents into a Snickers bar. But, in the interest of full disclosure, that was several years ago. ([[-_-]])

#11     Dec 5, 2009
  2. this thread is most likely going to turn out to be one of our resident multi-alias basement dwellers.

cold/c-kid/Jasonn is the front runner for OP, but there are a few other psychotics also starting these kind of threads.

#12     Dec 5, 2009
  3. hmcp

hmcp

How many people get into trading thinking it easy money only to learn its alot more than work than any 9-5 job.Would you start any other business with $1000? This is the mindset of alot of people I can trade for a living with minamal start up cost.This is just my observation of people being led to believe you can turn $1000 into 1 Million . This is why trading has a 95% failure rate and we see so many snakeoil salesman.Once you realize this isnt a get rich quick scam and alot of work 75% quit .I dont want to be negative if the op is legit but these kind of threads are very misleading and dont actually show the true nature of trading as a bussiness . Sorry for going on like this I just get tired of this bullshit.

Phil

#13     Dec 5, 2009
  4. exaltedangel09

exaltedangel09 Guest

Phil I agree with you 100%.

However, My trading strategy is not short term in nature. Just to let everyone know my strategy has been backtested from 2007,and so far its returned 380% with options and a 5% DD from the time period july09-dec09.
    My system only generates 10 good 3% signals a year. 20 2% mediocre ones and 40 0.5% signals/year.

fyi
    I work full-time as a scalper and I know how hard it is to be a trader.I hope I don't mislead anyone. I still believe stead, consistent ,small profits is the way to success..

I've been through trading struglles..I've been stuck in 10000 shares of a NYSE VERY ILLIQUID dollar stock and had to liquidate my position after-hours. As you know the nyse book closes close at 4:00:00 and nothing trades in these illiquid stocks. I was going to have sell 10,000 shares at pennies!! I told my friend to create the spread to save my ass to prevent me getting fired + losing thousands of $. I'm lucky the SEC didn't call me up for washtrading.

The only reason this thread is alive is because I want to show people that consistent compounded profit in the end is crazy. I returns 24% a year with <10% DD and I wanted to see what would happen if I levaraged everything AND compounded my returns. So far I am up 380% since June with levarage and this was only on 25% call leverage. Imagine going 100% leverage with calls on every trade? You only need to be right 17 times before $58 turns into 5.8 milllion. Statistically p(market goes up is .5)so 0.5^17=1/131072 = 0.000007629%

So I have statistically a 0.000007629% chance of doing it.
    Still better then lottery tickets

Trading System

My trading system only gives me 3-4 trading signals every 6 weeks but their profitability is 2-8% with drawdown of 2%. With options I can get gains of 50-200% in 1 trade but suffer 30-75% DD if I get stopped out. This strategy is very profitable w/ equities however I want to push it to next level.

My strategy is quantitative in nature and has a lot to do with time series data and forcastability. Note it only works in a trending market. Anyways let's see how far I go. If I get stopped out on trade 1 it's really not my fault. my trade setup was on nov.30th to buy.. however I was too busy to POST so I bought on friday (30+points up later--thats a 100% move with calls--and I would only need to be right 16 more times..

but my system still points even higher in the markets so why not buy 58$ of calls?!).

S&P Target 1130-1155 by December16th-December 30th (huge std.deviation error in this time series forcast)

Trend Change from up/down is a break of nov27/30th swing low.That's where my stops are sitting leaving me with $6

#14     Dec 5, 2009
  5. hmcp

hmcp

Exaltedangel09

Nothing against you. I just see alot of these threads and finally had to say something. I started as a broker in 93 then a otcbb MM in the late 90s finally trading on my own in 2004 . It has been alot of work as Im sure you know.I hope you have a legit system that works and you post your trades for others to learn from.I dont want to distract from what your doing . Its just that you see about 20 of these threads started every week and gone in a week. Good trading to you and I look forward to updates on your trading.

Phil

#15     Dec 5, 2009
  6. $58 is not a lot of money. If the OP loses that, I am sure he could make it back in a job within a day.

This would be a good learning experience for the OP regarding leverage.

PA

#16     Dec 5, 2009
  7. Exalted - I'm interested in the part about getting fired. I read online that at one firm traders are put on probation if they lose 8% of the money the company gives them to trade. They are fired if the loss grows to 12%. If you can say, are these numbers for trading losses that can have one in trouble in the ballpark?

#17     Dec 6, 2009
  8. exaltedangel09

exaltedangel09 Guest

If anyone can share light on this, I'd like to know too.

I'm a scalper so naturally my losses are inherently small. My firm has my daily stop loss set at 0.1% of my full BP, (I usually only utilize 1/15th to 1/5th of my BP so my real daily stop is 0.5-2%/day).

Losses are pretty natural in the biz.
    However. a 8% loss of my entire account would equate to almost 40% of my bosses annual salary. yikes. he wouldn't like that. Those numbers seem a bit high too me. Then again I don't day trade, I scalp so what do I know?!

Unless you are trading a small amount, I don't see why any firm would keep someone taking 8% losses of their account. Then again if you put up your own money, I don't see why NOT you can't take big losses..it is essentially your own money.

Can anyone share their experiences ?:confused:

#18     Dec 6, 2009
  9. Please excuse TZ,,,he is not feeling well at the moment....he tried to trade this week:D

#19     Dec 6, 2009
  10. stop at 3 cents

thats exactly what this trade is worth, give or take 2 cents

#20     Dec 7, 2009