Turning $5,000 into $1,000,000

Discussion in 'Trading' started by JonnyT, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Have to see both sides of the coin -- what are the "methods" drawdowns???

#11     Sep 21, 2002
  2. JonnyT,

One additional question- how many trades would you make in that 12 month period? Given a 50% win/loss rate, and a 2:1 risk/reward, we can tell that you have an expectancy of 0.5- for every $ you risk, you win an additional 1/2 dollar.

2 trades- each trade risks $1000. Trade 1 loses $1000, trade 2 wins $2000, you come out $1000 ahead. How well you do for the year is dependant on the number of trades. You make $500/trade at that level.

You might want to run a simulation for various risk levels. Start with risking 1% of account equity per trade, then bump it up to 1% of equity, plus 10% of profits. See what happens.

Commisso is right- you will encounter a level of drawdown at some point- how much can you handle? 10%, 20%, 50%?

Van Tharp has a neat trading game cd- it provides you with systems of differing expectancies- you set the risk/trade levels, and see how you do. There are 10 levels in the current game.

I'm not associated with IITM, I just like the game.

Regards,

Kevin

#12     Sep 21, 2002
  3. I took the liberty of quoting specific sections. Seriously, you are kidding me. Step inside the Bid/Ask, start making markets, and tell me where you stand. I think you will be lucky if you hit ten contracts. Of course, why should I even respond, this thread should be titled "Lost Backstreet Boy attempts to trade!!!"....

#13     Sep 21, 2002
  4. How about you feed us total BS, so we never know how long it takes? Sounds good to me. I do not think you would ever have the cods to post any editable results. However, perhaps that is just me?

#14     Sep 21, 2002
  5. lmao

#15     Sep 21, 2002
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Just out of curiosity, why do members allow the subject of so many threads to become centered around aphexcoil?

--Db

#16     Sep 21, 2002
  7. Well, when you have such far-reaching knowledge as this young lad, many threads will be centered around you as well, Young Jedi.

#17     Sep 21, 2002
  8. sub7slak

sub7slak

I would love to learn how to do that...since there are 250 trading days in a year, that allows someone to do this system 3 times turning $15K into $3M...wow, by the time I am ready to retire I should have almost $100M from investment of about $500K! Just one thing, what kind of magic potion is needed?

#18     Sep 21, 2002
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I'll pass, thank you.

--Db

#19     Sep 21, 2002
  10. Well, when the opening post includes a sentence that's talking about turning 5k into 1M in 80 trading days with little % risk, then I would say that this thread could easily get centered around, something/someone else, other than the original topic.:)

#20     Sep 21, 2002