Tuna Fish Sells for $736,000

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Gallardolam, Jan 6, 2012.

1. futuman

futuman

Anybody care about the fact that bluefin tuna is on the brink of extinction???

#11     Jan 7, 2012
  2. Obama supporters are on the brink of extinction.

See below:

[​IMG]

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/320sw0sw7847.gif

#12     Jan 7, 2012
  3. Eu has also similar percentage of poor and breed their own mediocrity.
    I think japs are special category. Probably for historical reasons they want to be different from chinese. Thats why this thing for perfection. Jap food is the best by miles. Still have not worked out though why JPY so strong. Onbly thing coming to mind is that large amounts of jpy was borrowed and now consistent flow back to jpy. Similar to eurchf story.

#13     Jan 7, 2012
  4. 9999

Any futures contracts on it? I'm gonna check my Esignal feed...

#14     Jan 7, 2012
  5. No offense to Japanese.
    Do you guys really like Sushi?

#15     Jan 9, 2012
  6. Mvector

Mvector

Are you crazy - all that area has highly contaminated sea life - Fukushima is still leaking - even seals all around Alaska are contaminated - stop eating seafood from upper Pacific.

#16     Jan 9, 2012
  7. Mvector

Mvector

ECO-CRISIS: Seals being killed by Fukushima radiation

Chris Parsons
    Mail Online
    December 29, 2011

Scientists in Alaska are investigating whether seals are being killed by radiation from Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant.

Scores of ring seals have washed up on Alaska’s arctic coastline since July either injured or killed by a mysterious disease which biologists first thought was a virus.

But the bleeding lesions on the hind flippers, irritated skin around the nose and eyes and patchy hair loss on the seals’ fur coats may have been caused by radiation from the stricken nuclear plant. Three reactors at the nuclear plant went into meltdown following the catastrophic tsunami caused by an 9.0-magnitude earthquake off Japan’s north-east coast in March.

Now animals several thousands miles away in Barrow, Alaska, are washing up with injuries thought to have been caused by the fallout from the nuclear meltdown.

http://www.infowars.com/seals-with-...air-loss-being-killed-by-fukushima-radiation/

Diseased seals in Alaska tested for Fukushima radiation

Reuters
    December 28, 2011

Scientists in Alaska are investigating whether local seals are being sickened by radiation from Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant.

Scores of ring seals have washed up on Alaska’s Arctic coastline since July, suffering or killed by a mysterious disease marked by bleeding lesions on the hind flippers, irritated skin around the nose and eyes and patchy hair loss on the animals’ fur coats.

Biologists at first thought the seals were suffering from a virus, but they have so far been unable to identify one, and tests are now underway to find out if radiation is a factor.

http://www.infowars.com/diseased-seals-in-alaska-tested-for-fukushima-radiation/

#17     Jan 9, 2012
  8. Now guys, before I comment, I think this is just as crazy as the next there are a couple of things to know about the sale of the fish.

It was the first auction of the year which traditionally brings record prices for the best fish of the auction. Prices have gotten out of hand recently though as Chinese buyers flush with cash and outbidded the Japanese. I believe the last 2 years the best fish of the first auction went to a buyer based in Hong Kong.

It is usually purchased by a group of sushi restaurants or large chain and, as someone pointed out earlier, its more about the marketing than the fish itself. This actually fish will be sold at a loss across its chain of restaurants. The Japanese buyer this year went all in to make sure they got it over any foreign buyer, hence the new record price.

Sadly though, in Japan, awareness of the current world stocks of the fish are a total non event.

In saying that the good stuff is damn good..... not even close to what you get in your supermarkets.....

#18     Jan 9, 2012
  9. There are thousands of miles between Japan and Alaska.

There is no way radiation will arrive to Alaska

#19     Jan 9, 2012