Tuna Fish Sells for $736,000

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Gallardolam, Jan 6, 2012.

1. TOKYO -- This tuna is worth savoring: It cost nearly three-quarters of a million dollars.

The bluefin tuna caught off northeastern Japan fetched a record 56.49 million yen, or about $736,000, Thursday in the first auction of the year at Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market. The price for the 269-kilogram (593-pound) tuna beat last year's record of 32.49 million yen.

The price translates to 210,000 yen per kilogram, or $1,238 per pound - also a record, said Yutaka Hasegawa, a Tsukiji market official.

The winning bidder is Kiyoshi Kimura, president of a sushi restaurant chain. Media reports quote him saying that he wants to "liven up Japan" and help it recover from last year's devastating tsunami and economic stagnation.

The tuna was caught off Aomori prefecture.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/05/bluefin-tuna-record_n_1185770.html

2. $1,238 per pound? Doesnt that guy know he can go to his local Safeway and pick it up for about $3 to $4 per pound?

3. antaram

antaram

he already got $734,211 worth of advertising

4. there is this thing called quality that makes someone not go to safeway. it is true.

5. Bought some Japanese Tuna yesterday and I'm concerned it might be contaminated with radiation.

I know I shouldn't worry but get the feeling I'm gonna be opening a whole new can of worms.

6. Start fishing. Sell 10 Tuna fish every year and earn $100,000/year.

Invest the money in Gold & Silver. No need for daily trading.

7. Does the Bearice website fetch $736,000. ?

8. S2007S

S2007S

So Tuna breaks another record, nearly $750,000 for a tuna or $1200 pound, how great is this tuna, I have had some good tuna fish and it doesnt cost anywhere near $1200 a pound....what makes this tuna so special, its tuna.....

9. some poster before clearly does not understand concept of quality and enjoyment of better things in life. It is lots of things combined and if you have never tried, will never know. you dont ever need to be rich for that :confused:

10. The latest statistics show that 49% of Americans fall into "poor" category.

This means that half the people you are talking to are too poor to know the difference.

How many Americans traveled to Europe in good days and even now to see other ways of living.
    very few overall

For Americans living is visiting Miami or some Mexican sh#@t Hole

#10     Jan 7, 2012