Tumblr’s latest tumble: A company once valued at $1.1B sells for less than $3m

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Aug 14, 2019.

1. monkeyc

monkeyc

You must be out of it because they've been making a profit for many many years.

Even at their IPO in 2013, they had billions of cash in the bank and $1.5B annual net income. So much for all the predictions in 2013 that they were going to $0 like Myspace. Wish I had a nickel for each of those predictions.

#11     Aug 14, 2019
    Cuddles likes this.
  2. tsznecki

tsznecki

I love the fact that most of you didn't know FB was profitable and has been for awhile, yet some of you lambast social media networks for "just being a bunch of code".

Not only are you an amateur, but your age is showing.

#12     Aug 14, 2019
    Cuddles likes this.
  3. Sig

Sig

Not pointing fingers at anyone on this thread, but one of my favorite "kids these days" is when some bitter old man complains about "kids these days, spending all their time on the facebook", not realizing that all of us "kids" on Facebook are over 40 now!

#13     Aug 14, 2019
  4. Turveyd

Turveyd

Why would I care ?? since become profitable, nothing to talk about I guess.

Bunch of Code over a million lines I hear + a huge server farm or 3 + maybe 6 members of staff to switch stuff off and back on again when it plays up.

#14     Aug 14, 2019
  5. Sig

Sig

I run a minuscule tech company compared to Facebook and have a lot more than 6 employees. I think you may be massively oversimplifying what it takes to run a company in general and perhaps misunderstanding how Facebook earns their revenue (hint, the server farms don't magically generate it for them).

#15     Aug 14, 2019
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

I knew it was profitable, I just didn't know it was making that much.

I don't use FB so I am not sure how ads work there. I use Youtube a lot, and I never see an ad. I am surprised they don't care about adblockers.

#16     Aug 14, 2019