Tulip mania: the classic story of a Dutch financial bubble is mostly wrong

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Feb 12, 2018.

1. No, man... Just no. You don't have to say silly things like this.

#31     Feb 15, 2018
    dealmaker likes this.
  2. Neuroway

Neuroway

But I do, dear Martinghoul, I do. Allow me. A handful of fiat dollars is pretty much useless outside of the US. You can't buy anything with it in the European Union, for instance. A wallet of crypto, though, can get you to lots of places around the world.

#32     Feb 15, 2018
  3. Huh? I can't buy anything with dollars in the EU? Really?

Outside of the EU, how many countries in the world have their currencies explicitly or implicitly pegged to the "useless fiat dollar"? Not to bitcoin, funnily enough...

#33     Feb 15, 2018
  4. Neuroway

Neuroway

#34     Feb 15, 2018
  5. Sig

Sig

I guarantee if I offered a hundred U.S. dollar bill for a coffee I'd be served in every single coffee shop in Vienna, or any other city in the world except maybe Pyongyang. Or I could go no more than a city block from any coffee shop in Vienna and withdraw Euros from my USD account at an ATM and use that to buy my coffee. I guarantee that if anyone drew up a list of random items from a loaf of bread to a computer to a hammer the fastest way for you with your BTC or me with my USD to buy them would be to simply convert them to Euro first. You're being rediculous, and being an asshat in addition to that doesn't make you look any less rediculous.

#35     Feb 15, 2018
    dealmaker likes this.
  6. Neuroway

Neuroway

Hmm... That would be very stupid. Like offering a hundred Euros to buy a coffee in New York. And this was not my point. My point is that the USD has no legal tender outside the US. BTC has, in lots of places around the world. I think my point was obvious. At least for any person at or above the average IQ. I didn't think I was going to be hated on by a bunch of irrational, hysterical backwardly flag-waving patriots. Look, let's close this discussion. I'm very busy right now and I don't feel like having time for it.

#36     Feb 15, 2018
  7. themickey

themickey

Red dick you louse

#37     Feb 15, 2018
  8. Indeed, I think it would be very wise to close this discussion... You clearly have never actually gone anywhere in the third world if you say that USD isn't legal tender outside the US. That's just a dumb thing to say, I'm sorry.

#38     Feb 16, 2018
  9. Neuroway

Neuroway

No, I haven't gone to the countries that use the USD. And that's not dumb, that's just ignorant. Now that you mentionned it I googled the thing and know that Zimbabwe, Micronesia, Palau, East Timor use the USD (all countries that I had never heard about before, except Zimbabwe).

Thanks to you, my dear Martinghoul, today, I am less ignorant than yesterday. I know that somewhere on the planet, there is a country named Micronesia and another named Timor, and they use the USD. I stand corrected, and I thank you again for that.

#39     Feb 16, 2018
  10. Sig

Sig

And the Bahamas, and Panama, to name two places I've been to lately. For someone who so cavalierly dismisses everyone who disagrees with him as an ignoramus 'Murican, you don't seem to know much about the world outside where you live.

#40     Feb 16, 2018