Tsunami of wealth didn't trickle down...it surged upward...yep news to me!!!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Jan 4, 2018.

1. piezoe

piezoe

Discussion with supporting data of myriad other factors, though certainly far less than "thousands," are the subject of Piketty's and his student's Study and Book. Piketty is by no means the only economist interested in wealth disparity. He's brought the subject up to date in a thorough, well supported, if not faultless, compendium.

In the main my observations are as yours. I have commented many times here, and posted extensively, regarding the "misdirection, bureaucratization and destruction of our K-BS educational systems," to borrow your words. I am old enough to have experienced first-hand the transition from pre- to post- Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society". I understand what unintentional ill the changes wrought. I have said many times that transformation and deterioration of our public education system underlies virtually every ill we face today. If we fix it now, it will be twenty-five to thirty years before we reap the benefits, if we don't fix it, thirty years from now we may not exist as the nation we knew. Time is of the essence.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    #11     Jan 6, 2018
    contango321 likes this.
  2. toc

toc

Two facts:

a) #1 cause of family bankruptcies in US is related to unexpected or prolonging medical expenses.

b) In Western Europe, Australia, Canada the average annual cost of free healthcare per person is $4-5K to the government. In the US, it is touching $10K per person. Would take $5K model anytime, even if means 10-20% reduction is overall quality. Who cares if the syringes for injections are made in China or size of average patient room is somewhat smaller.

In no way, healthcare in W. Europe or Canada is "by far" inferior to the US. It may be a step or two behind but not lagging by a mile or so.

#12     Jan 6, 2018
  3. gkishot

gkishot

People can't be equally rich, only equally poor.

#13     Jan 6, 2018
    piezoe likes this.
  4. piezoe

piezoe

Actually the detailed studies of overall health care quality show the U.S. lagging all the other industrialized nations, despite the U.S. ~100% higher cost than the next most costly care (Switzerland) . People don't recognize that despite higher cost in the U.S. the same problems crop up in the U.S. as in other countries. There is plenty of anecdotal stories to support that the care in the U.S. is great. But sadly, what is true in general in the U.S. paints a rather mediocre picture, and at extreme cost.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    #14     Jan 6, 2018