TS Trailing stops

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mktman, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Kymar

Kymar

I've used and examined them. Having a problem?

#11     Jun 19, 2002
  2. Kymar:

I really can't make sense of them. I use Ts4 for EOD analysis. I add the swing bar function as an indicator, and it highlights nothing.

#12     Jun 19, 2002
  3. Kymar

Kymar

I don't recall exactly how things are set up in TS4, but I believe it's the same as in TS6 (possibly with minor adjustments): There's a SWINGHIGHLO "show me" and a TRENDLINES AUTOMATIC indicator... If you have them, try applying the former to daily charts first... There are also some sample "signals" - the Trendlines Auto tests surprisingly well with simple stops, not that I'd trade it as such...

Do you have them?

I don't use either indicator, though I did learn some stuff from the code that I've applied to some custom indicators and signals.

If you're trying to plot the function as an indicator - which may or may not make sense - why don't you cut-and-paste the code here and maybe we can figure out what's wrong?

#13     Jun 19, 2002
  4. kymar -- ok. I'm swamped at the moment, I may not revisit this till the weekend. Thanks for getting back to me.

#14     Jun 19, 2002
  5. mktman,

here one way you could theoretically do a trailing stop in EL. This would be an alternative to the built in trailing stops.

if CLOSE > ENTRYPRICE + CUTOFF then begin
    if POSITIONPROFIT < PERCENT*MAXPOSITIONPROFIT
    then sell next bar at market;
    end;

Think about what the CUTOFF should be. With the NQ, for instance, a two tick cutoff would mean that one tick is a fifty percent retracement. So obviously that woudn't do...

In my experience, money management stops and profit taking have never ever improved the performance of any system I have designed.

#15     Jun 19, 2002
  6. I'm attaching a picture of a chart with the 'swinghi' function depicted. I'd appreciate hearing your comments.

the indicator on the bottom is not relevant to this question.

chas.

#16     Jun 21, 2002
  7. Kymar

Kymar

Something's wrong. Have you opened the EL document to see whether the code makes sense to you? Is it based on an embedded "swinghigh" function that is in turn based on a "pivot" function?

Did you get your copy of TS4 used? Maybe the previous owner futzed with the code. Or maybe there's something else "funny" going on.

#17     Jun 21, 2002
  8. the code blows me away....neither of the functions have been modified any later than the rest of the functions.

yes, i bought the prog used and now Omega won't support it anymore....

#18     Jun 21, 2002
  9. Those trailing stops in a down market like this month really help out the bottom line.

Guess who's back. My trailing stops are also accurate and reliable.

#19     Jun 22, 2002
  10. DaveN

DaveN

Hi chas,

Something's wrong with the picture. Attached is an INTC daily with Pivot High and Pivot Low plotted (TS2000i), using 5,3 as you did. I am assuming that you are suggesting there's a problem in your chart that you posted. If you are comfortable showing the code which generated your showme study, I'd be happy to try to help solve the problem.

#20     Jun 23, 2002