Trying to start my career as a trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by eusebio, Nov 20, 2006.

1. dac8555

dac8555

Taking a biref look at your resume...i would say you have a good shot at getting in with an institution. Maybe an asia or EM desk. Speaking 4 languages is great. solid undsertanding of math and a good attitutde. As long as you are not a social disaster, you should be in good shape.

I dont think the resume is a DISASTER, but you could be a bit more to the point. i used to own a recruiting company so ill try to offer a few tips.

The key with a resume is the following

1. The person reading it will only spend about 30 seconds reading it. make sure your impression is immediate.

so maybe for the opeing objective put

"Masters degreed enginner with fluency in 4 languages seek quantitave role on trading desk"...or whatever. specific with "POW".

make sure each statement has impact

2. Only statements of fact that are quantiative. some people will put "I am a strong leader and good in a team environment"...that is BS. show you are a stong leader by saying "3 promotions in 2 years to a role with 25 immediate reports"...that quantiatively shows that you are a go-getter and a leader....get it?

3. HR is the enemy. wierd but true. HR is rarely the decision maker in hiring and firing, they only process the people. So you have to talk to the decision maker who is the ehad of the department. Go to the VP of trading directly...seriously. he will tell you where to go or who is the best conatct under him, and will appreciate your ambition.

3. You have to sell yourself. If you just send a resume...you may never hear back. so
    a. Make a list of places you want to work
    b. find out who the DEPARTMET HEAD is
    c. call and tell them you will send your resume
    d. call and follow up on their thoughts.
    e. even if they involve HR, stay intouch with the decision maker.

Ill stop there.

Good Luck.

#11     Nov 20, 2006
  2. eusebio

eusebio

Wow... Thanks for the useful tips! I will go improve on my resume now! :p

#12     Nov 21, 2006
  3. Thom64

Thom64

Greetings,

My question to all is,

If you can trade profitably for a company,why wouldnt you trade for yourself and take the profits 100%.

Other than the perceived security of a stable paycheck,wouldnt you be able to make more $s trading for yourself?

cordially Tom

#13     Nov 23, 2006
  4. it is much easier to trade profitably for a large IB or bank.

1) extremely low commissions, excellent fills

2) risk limits and daily losses are imposed on you as a trader. If you lose more, u go and buy coffee for the rest of the guys in the trading room.

3) trading systems and methodology are taught to you by the institution.

4) many institutions are market makers, and so they can profit from the bid-ask spread, something you would never be able to in a home based environment.

#14     Nov 24, 2006
  5. Adobian

Adobian

What's wrong with doing both ?

#15     Nov 24, 2006