Trying To Sell 19 Year Annuity At Discount...any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by WECpoker, Sep 18, 2009.

1. WECpoker

WECpoker

#21     Sep 18, 2009
  2. WECpoker

WECpoker

LOL..these guys make some nice money. Prolly why most lotteries now give their own Lump Sum option so these outfits dont rape the winners. I mean, it is their right--do what you have to in order to make good returns.

#22     Sep 18, 2009
  3. WECpoker

WECpoker

Yeah...Genworth had some issues from underlying Mortgage Loans I think it was (well some issue anyway that I researched at the time and memory is fading on it), that drove stock to $1+, but they seemed to explain it well at the time, and they are spin off of General Electric..so I dont think they would go down. They were a great stock play in Nov, March. Stock closed at $13 today so I like them. I also invested some in them late 2008 early 2009...I think they will be around.

#23     Sep 18, 2009
  4. WECpoker

WECpoker

All good points..of course this is no US Treasury..but still you are looking at 30 YEAR rates at 4.17%. While there are certainly other factors at work- the professionals arent buying into your theory 100% yet or these rates would be much higher already. It is obvious that you may have to watch for higher rates..but is by no means a certainty or foregone conclusion.

#24     Sep 18, 2009
  5. zdreg

zdreg

as the existence of this thread proves what extra return is necessary for an instrument which has little liquidity ?

#25     Sep 18, 2009
  6. Google "note buyers", find a board and post all the details of your annuity and let people bid for your note, or put a fixed price in and see what kind of offers you get.

I would personally be surprised if you got offered more than 65k from a professional.

But if i were you, i would put an ad in the paper. (first off, I did a simple calculation and im guessing your interest rate on that annuity is a little over 5% right?) If i was looking to sell it quick, I would try to sell it for $74,250. That gives the buyer a nice 12% interest rate on the annuity. I'm sure you could try a better price though as you might get an inexperienced person to buy it. For example $82,800 would give them a 10% return, $93,350 would give 8% and so on.

The professional note buyers are trying to get an interest rate of usually a min of 15% to 50% interest. Thats why the 30k-50k offers (which is a 21%-43% interest rate)

#26     Sep 18, 2009
  7. Better note the range, WEC; It's spot on.

#27     Sep 18, 2009
  8. The Lump Sum option on lotteries pays approx. 50% of the stated prize amount. It's true that there annuities are 25 yrs. not 19. I wouldn't expect to pay more than 60% of the total annuity amount.

#28     Sep 18, 2009
  9. WECpoker

WECpoker

Thank you for your imput

#29     Sep 19, 2009
  10. WECpoker

WECpoker

60% of the annuity amount?

SOLD

Annuity Face Value Currently is $171,000 (payment streams)

#30     Sep 19, 2009