Trying to let winners run for 4 YEARS, so depressed

Discussion in 'Trading' started by apak, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Perhaps I'm wrong, but you appear to be looking for feedback and insight from others as to why you're approach is not giving you the results you want.

What I've observed in this thread is you managing to dismiss, argue with, and find some fault with just about every comment made by others in regards to your siutation. Perhaps the "relatively young" part explains this as it's a situation seen with tiresome frequency here on ET - ask for input, then dismiss it all. That and the being young.

#31     Nov 4, 2008
  2. apak

apak

Some traders in this thread are Liars, they are saying things that I know are false, leading me astray or if they believe things they say they are delusional and not real traders.

Read my previous post

this is waste of my time, back to testing I go

#32     Nov 4, 2008
  3. it seems there are people on here under aliases who are here just to throw you off..

careful of who you listen too

#33     Nov 4, 2008
  4. #34     Nov 4, 2008
  5. lindq

lindq

I think anyone reading this thread would be inclined to agree with your assessment.

But, knowing that you are in fact a fool gives you a head start on most of humanity.

And now you've got nowhere to go but up. Unless you are the type that just keeps talking, and doesn't ever listen.

#35     Nov 4, 2008
  6. My last comment here, as I suspect this one, too, will support my prior post, but here goes:

Backtesting assumes conditions will be similar to the environment you use for testing. If you test based upon the volatility of the last few weeks or so, do you assume this will be helpful? If you test based upon a VIX of 16 from summer of 2006, for example, do yuo think this would've helped you trade the last month or so?

The other problem with backtesting is that it teaches you nothing about managing trades in a dynamic environment, but you've already admitted you have little to no satrategy in this regard as other have already pointed out.

Why not just trade very small and actually learn to trade? You'll forgive me if I'm not surprised as yuo pick apart my commentary.

#36     Nov 4, 2008
  7. apak, hang in there. You'll be fine.

Do you set the risk/reward ratio criteria for exiting a position before or after you have opened a position? If the answer is after, then there is your problem.

You are more likely to accept a lower R:R and make a poor exit decision while you are already in the position, even if you intellectually know that a positive risk/reward ratio is better for you in the long run.

#37     Nov 4, 2008
  8. apak

apak

Not true at all, position sizing according to present volatility and price distance according to volatility is not a problem at all.

problem is money management

#38     Nov 4, 2008
  9. If you think the problem is "money management" you are using a different definition to most successful traders. Which might explain you thinking its an edge.

Money management, plain and george bush simple, is how much you allocate to an opportunity and how you change that as your account grows or shrinks.

Given your rejection of the advice you received earlier you appear to be a troll. And this "no edge for a retail trader" crap. So why don't you f off back into your troll hole and test yourself into market inconsequence.

#39     Nov 4, 2008
  10. apak

apak

You and I are the same, we both have mediocre inconsistent results for years, the difference is I refuse to continue like this, while you are content having a day job of some sort

#40     Nov 4, 2008