TRY X-TRADER LIVE FREE FOR A MONTH AND TRADE AT OUR 20k CONTRACTS/MONTH RATE

Discussion in 'Events' started by GoodTrades, Dec 20, 2003.

1. dpanic

dpanic

Yes, I use neoticker which now provides a true tick by tick replay capability, including time and sales, can actually relive a trading period, I'm not sure any other platform does this to the extent that it totally appears as if you're watching realtime. I will frequently replay a session after hours to see if there was something I missed.

#31     Jan 1, 2004
  2. Oh, you can do that in eSignal or the like, too.

I don't mean just "playing back" a session on charts, though. I mean "replaying".
    Replaying as in "Play again, this time better" - With simulated trades.

Every day I trade, I will record the trading session, and then may replay it in sim mode, to find exactly where I did mistakes and where I could have done what better. Works fabulously, particularly for scalping. It also trains you to trade purely off depth "ladder", rather than using charts. As you trade again the next session live, the charts are practically a bonus.

#32     Jan 1, 2004
  3. dpanic

dpanic

I have esignal as a my data feed and used their charts for a couple years, Esignal does have a replay function but it's not a true replay i.e. not every tick at the pace which it occured realtime. Doesn't give your the capability to play it back in real time as it occured nor does it include full time and sales. Neoticker allows you to replay exactly as it occured which includes the actual time/sales data at real time or at a faster pace. Also included the ability to execute simulated trades. Last I heard Ray is hooking Ninjatrader into that feed so that the NT dome will display an active DOM in conjuction with the charts so that you can then execute simulated trades off off real time data only a any timeframe you select. Right now I just use the Neoticker trade simulator which doens't include a running dome.

How is this different than what you're suggesting? Aren't you just talking about recording a days trading session and playing it back? How are you executing your simulated trades off of that data, is there a simpler way I'm overlooking?

#33     Jan 1, 2004
  4. Hi dpanic,

Interesting indeed. Sounds like Neoticker has some pretty good features. However, the reality is that I hardly look much at charts (only sometimes, and usually simple ones), so my ~$150/month for eSignal look like flushed down the toilet. Why do I use it? Because it has the best datafeed IMO. Also, I use it for the tape (T&S), which is very reliable and fast. Most of the time, I'm focused on tape, DOM, and the tick-chart in my execution platform. I will glance over to 1-min, 5-min and 15-min charts occassionally, but that's just for an overview. That's why I like ButtonTrader - It's got a simple tick-chart in it, right next to the DOM, coupled with volume pressure - This gives me most of the feel for where S&R is, where price went, where it bounced, plus it doesn't bias me much with past market information (it only shows ~10 minutes of tick chart). Perfect tool for a scalper.

As for executing simulated trades off that recorded data: Well, in ButtonTrader, you can record as much market as you like and then re-play the session, doing simulated trading just like the real market. It records all the action on the depth and price changes. It's essentially like re-living the trading day. I do this consistently, particularly when I've had a bad day. Comes a bad day, I will replay that session again and again, until my "end result" is seriously good. Of course I will get better also as I will remember what happened during that session. But you see that's exactly the point of it - As you actually remember things that happened, you adapt and build a framework in your mind to "remember things before they happen", which eventually translates into future performance, as you learn to clearly identify certain situations you've replayed several times in the past. Does this make any sense to you? It's a trick I learnt in NLP, it works very well for me in terms of honing very short-term scalping performance. It might not be so easy to implement when you have to rely on charts, though.

And by the way - You can record sessions in X_Trader, too, even better than on Button. I know you can... :)

Scientist

#34     Jan 1, 2004
  5. dpanic

dpanic

I'll stop posting on this thread so as not to take over Marks' nickel but I may like to pick up some of this discussion with you on your scalping thread.

#35     Jan 1, 2004
  6. No worries. The moderator has my full invitation to transfer the off-topic posts to that thread, and Mark is equally invited to ask a moderator to do so.

The all-universal Magna may help. :)

dpanic, CU on the other thread.

#36     Jan 1, 2004
  7. traderob

traderob

I'm very interested in all this too. I use ensign for playback but am going to resubscibe to esignal (for the 3rd time) so want to know about how its playback works. Should move this section of the thread somewhere else

#37     Jan 1, 2004
  8. YYNOTT

YYNOTT

I have been using the Xtrader Simulator from velocity. I have checked its accuracy....what I like to point out is that when I visit the CME I see that the TRADERS on the floor are using it. You know what that's about says it all for me.

I dont like going to war unarmed. So, my advice to anyone seriously thinking about scalping the futures should forget about the price because not having the platform will cost you more.

I have proven this to myself. Dont mean to preach, but this is the first software I have used that I feel even with the FLOOR.

Anthony.

#38     Jan 18, 2004
  9. How would you feel if you knew he got the idea from your friendly neighborhood troll after tuning into the JR thread last year?! :)

#39     Jan 18, 2004

10. What do floor traders know? they're going to be extinct in a couple of years;)

#40     Jan 18, 2004