Trump’s trade dares have vaporized the Dow’s gains for 2018

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cuddles, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

TRS and destriero like this.
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Well. That and GE.....

athlonmank8 likes this.
  3. dozu888

dozu888

4. Cuddles

Cuddles

https://www.axios.com/trump-trade-w...tes-d51278d2-0516-4def-a4d3-ed676f4e0f83.html

Why it matters: The draft legislation is stunning. The bill essentially provides Trump a license to raise U.S. tariffs at will, without congressional consent and international rules be damned.

The details: The bill, titled the "United States Fair and Reciprocal Tariff Act," would give Trump unilateral power to ignore the two most basic principles of the WTO and negotiate one-on-one with any country:

1. The "Most Favored Nation" (MFN) principle that countries can't set different tariff rates for different countries outside of free trade agreements;
    2. "Bound tariff rates" — the tariff ceilings that each WTO country has already agreed to in previous negotiations.

piezoe and TRS like this.
  5. TRS

TRS

Remember the days when Trump was relentlessly tweeting and cheering on the stock market like a giddy newb...

Not so much now.

6. tomorton

tomorton

7. smallfil

smallfil

Let us get real. The stockmarket does not go up in a straight line or like a rocket. Even assuming for the sake of argument, that President Trump was not President of the United States and no tariffs were imposed on Chinese products, the bull market has been going on how many years now? At some point there is going to be a correction. There is going to be a pullback. If you look at the daily charts, there is volatility and it is going sideways. On the longer term time frame which is the weekly charts, the trend is pretty much intact although, it is showing some sideways movement as well. And what happens when fair trade deals are finally signed and the stockmarket comes roaring back and going up higher? What are the naysayers going to say then? There are trading opportunities everyday. It is up to you to take it. If not, then, too bad for you because you missed out! Good for me and others! Trump bashers just looking for the tiniest excuses to bash him because they hate him! You are acting like little children!

8. TRS

TRS

You take responsibility for its rise you take responsibility for its fall.
    That's the dangerous game he played.
    He should've just implemented his policies and not been a cheerleader for the Dow and given almost daily stock market reports. He can't have it both ways. Okay Dad.

VPhantom and DaveV like this.
  9. tomorton

tomorton

But you surely don't deny the President is responsible for how far and how fast the Dow is down? Hell, I don't think he would deny that himself.

It doesn't really bother me, I don't own any US stocks and I don't have a US pension plan. I'm waiting for the market to either crash or climb, same to me either way. But you can't expect people who are getting hurt right now to not complain.

10. DaveV

DaveV

Actually the fall in GE stock price had very little effect on the DOW. The DOW is price weighted, so at $14, if GE price fell 20%, it wouldn't have as much effect on the DOW as Boeing ($333) falling 2%.

#10     Jul 2, 2018
    vanzandt likes this.