Trump's got the worst stock market in my life time

Discussion in 'Economics' started by RGLD, Nov 24, 2020.

1. RGLD

RGLD

Unlike in 2008, we had a clear recession. The market just kept going down and it eventually turned around. Remember I say stock market - NOT economy.

Trump's market is all about rallying than sudden drops that break records with high volatility.

Remember Feb 2nd 2018? For no reason, the market just dropped like 10% in a day and it took it the rest of the year to recover. Than later that year from Oct-Dec, we had one of the worst declines in history, the worst end of year in history where the market lost most of what it gained the entire year maybe going back to 2017. Now we have the covid lows with the market dropping 35% in only a few weeks and bouncing back in 6 months.

I mean seriously, what the hell. Do traders have short memories or something because the volatility from 2018 still scares me to this day and I refuse to buy too big into any position. This did not happen during Obama's term. Can you blame Trump's trade war or is the the market in general?

Maybe in 2021 the S&P will rally to 4,000, than drop back to covid lows of 2,200 in 2 week. Anyone see that happening?

2. tsznecki

tsznecki

It wasn't 10% in a day. Get your facts straight.

The volatility from 2018 scares you but 2020 doesn't? What are you babbling about?

shuraver and tomorton like this.
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

based on statistics on 11/05/2020 when the sp crossed above 3503 it should stay on average 20+ days above it's 21 day average which today is 3475. it has been above 3503 for 14 days now, so it has about 6 more days, to be close to the yearly averages.

apdxyk likes this.
  4. Viotac

Viotac

I remember when they announced that Trump had covid OMG, that falling !!
    [​IMG]

5. Was the Feb 2018 drop really for no reason?
    https://houndstoothcapital.com/2018/05/06/anatomy_of_a_blowup/

Prior to what some are now dubbing the “Volpacalypse” (Feb 5), the VIX was already behaving abnormally in January. It is rare to see the VIX consistently rise in concert with the S&P 500, but that is exactly what we saw in January.

6. zdreg

zdreg

Study historical volatility charts before posting dribble.

7. Nobert

Nobert

From an average person's perspective - maybe ?
    tenor.gif

Screenshot (111).png
    (and if that is bad for someone, then, hold on tight to your seat belts, its gonna get much worse. (Some-day-in-the-future...))

Me - dunno. Wish every year was like this, lots of opportunities.

2018 was a child's play.

That's only my opinion, & opinions are the cheapest commodities on earth. - Napoleon Hill

My sincere judgement on what could be the problem on identifying this year as such , would be - lack of basic skills in TA. And to everyone's favor (except hedge funds (wink)), it can be learned, ain't the rocket science.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    MarkBrown and murray t turtle like this.
  8. smallfil

smallfil

You got to love the ET trolls lecturing us on the stockmarket because they have no clue. On the plus side, you will be cannon fodder. The big boys does not care for idiots like you. They will take your monies though.

yc47ib and MarkBrown like this.
  9. D%%
    That + virus turned out to be mostly less than flu;
    unless one was unhealthy or about 107 years old......................................

#10     Nov 24, 2020