Trump's "Big Announcement" at 3PM EST

Discussion in 'Politics' started by vanzandt, Jan 19, 2019.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

Any prognostications as to what he will say?
    Sources are saying the emergency declaration thing is not happening.
    So is he going to lay out an offer, essentially making all of America privy to his latest volley in this test of ego's? If so, I bet its going to be something that is palatable to a big swath of the voters. I'm sure Jared has his hands in the mix here. And lets not forget... Trump's a showman.

"Must watch" TV.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. Cuddles

Cuddles

Wonder if he'll tie in his "infrastructure week" into it...The DOW rebounding HAM

3. I know it will not be anything that I am interested in.

The whole thing is so watered down now that not much matters.

Dems will offer to throw in some food stamps or something to make it look like they are stepping up.

Nothing but an influx of illegals as far as the eye can see for decades to come now.

He could do something ballsy that would give me a short term buzz, but the overall trajectory for the future is still not good.

AAAintheBeltway likes this.
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I expect Trump will support DACA protections in exchange for the wall at 3pm. I don’t think this will float with Democrats.

5. Hopefully he will throw every democrat under the bus for being completely disingenuous about border security. Trump may go full Trump on them and draw a line in the sand, no agreement by a certain date and he'll declare a national emergency. While entertaining, that would probably be a mistake because the left will have to take the challenge and go to the deadline, people suffering be damned.
    We are firmly planted in the who the hell knows what's next phase of governing. It's truly pathetic that this has devolved into a pissing contest between three people, The Donald, Nancy and Chucky.

Tom B and Clubber Lang like this.
  6. Doesnt work for me either.

I would not exchange daca protections for anything less than border funding and comprehensive immigration reform including amnesty limitations/re-definitions and an end to chain migration.

Bargaining daca away before the court ruling would be insane. and if trump does it . fuck him.I am not going to try to pretty it up. If he wants to bargain on the hurricane victims still here, ahh, okay, I guess. I have not focused on them much so do have the same heartburn.

DACA is the card he is holding for comprehensive immigration reform. If he plays that card on some dipshit small fraction of the original wall amount, then what is his bargaining power for comprehensive reform? None. is the correct answer.

If I were trump I would offer to take half of the funding for the wall which is already watered down to a 5.7 figure in return for a doubling of the over all spending on the border. So gets half of his request for a physical wall but more funds for alternatives. I mean he is going to end out with half the amount for the wall anyway as part of some bullshit agreement. But I definitely, definitely would not put daca into the mix.

7. I think most voters know 5 billion is peanuts in the budget.
    This entire mess is to keep Trump from fulfilling his biggest campaign promise. Nothing more.

8. Washington Fake News Post says his offer includes protection for dreamers.

COUNT ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless it is some of kind of temporary protection while in the courts or whatever.

Nope. If Trump goes there, he goes without me and I will support him until I see if he is primaried and then I will decide from there. I am a never-Hillary voter so I can easily vote for another without it being a change in position.

[​IMG]

elderado and AAAintheBeltway like this.
  9. He should be targeting dreamers for deportation to put pressure on the dems.

I am of two minds about a DACA for wall deal. Obviously, it is a terrible deal for the country. The amnesty will be immediate and total and will inevitably be expanded by activist judges in the future, as happened with previous amnesties. The wall will take forever to build, if normal government construction processes are followed. Endless environmental challenges, nutcase judicial rulings blocking it, etc etc. Then the next president may well just drop the whole thing. The deal will define Trump's presidency and make him look like a naïve idiot who was easily rolled by hack pols.

On the other hand, we elected Trump knowing he called the dreamers "great kids" and assured skeptics he would handle them with compassion. So he likely does not feel the need to take a hard stand here.

I think we could live with a compromise that includes reform of the immigration system, ie mandatory e-verify, no more chain migration, tightened up asylum rules, streamlined deportation procedures, cutting immigration from shithole countries etc, but this isn't happening.

At the end of the day, Trump needs to tell congress to go to hell and just start building the wall using the military. Let them try to stop him.

TreeFrogTrader likes this.

10. I will hold off on further comment until after we see what trump has to say for himself.

However, in the meantime, I will offer up a reminder that Trump does not-in my view and in the view of a several or more plaintiff states- have the constitutional authority to bargain the illegality of daca recipients away even if he wants to. He can negotiate a deal and agree to sponsor and sign some legislation that revises existing legislation but he cannot just go full-obama and do it by executive order- even Obama said he could not for the long term. And of course and revised legislation will get massively butchered and added-to in ways that neither dems nor republicans can probably agree upon. So there is a long way to go. The cases on the way to the Supreme Court are not going to go away just because Trump might agree to something. It just means that the cases arguing that the President alone cannot over-rule existing legislation includes Trump too, not just Obama.

What the hell Trump would be doing caving on daca for pittance concessions from the dems when he should be waiting for the court ruling and then dealing from strength is totally, totally beyond me. Unless one thinks that he would lose at the Supreme Court and I don't and what the hell would you be losing anyway if you are already willing to give it all away for a couple billion. Just insane. Trump needs to show some balls for pete's sake.

He needs to leave daca alone other than challenging it in the courts, and appointing another judge and go off and work on getting re-elected. If he does not do that then dont bother me with the re-elected part.

Of course, there is a part of me that says that Trump is offering the dreamer thing because he knows that the dems still will not accept it but he will end out with the high ground. If I get a sense that that is what is going on that would cause me to reconsider whether I toss him in the toilet or not. We shall see. He may be showing some balls by doing that and I dont recognize it yet. We shall see.

#10     Jan 19, 2019
    AAAintheBeltway likes this.