Trump takes credit for McCain-Sanders veterans bill signed by Obama: “One of my greatest honors”

Discussion in 'Politics' started by exGOPer, Jan 17, 2020.

1. exGOPer

exGOPer

Makes sense half of the low info voters approve of the job he is doing - taking credit for bills signed by Obama.

Trump falsely claimed that one of his "greatest honors" was helping pass a veterans health bill, which was actually authored by the late Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and signed into law by former President Barack Obama.

"One of my greatest honors was to have gotten CHOICE approved for our great Veterans," Trump incorrectly claimed in New Year's Eve tweet. "Others have tried for decades, and failed!"

It is a lie which has been repeated in the past by Trump.

"We just passed Choice," Trump falsely claimed in 2018. "That was 44 years, they've been trying to pass Choice… They've been trying to pass that one for many, many decades. They couldn't do it. We got it passed. We're good at passing things, right?"

Trump even used the lie to attack McCain months before his death.

"I disagree with John McCain on the way he handled the vets, because I said you got to get Choice. He was never able to get Choice. I got Choice," Trump falsely claimed to reporters in May of last year.

This would certainly come as a surprise to McCain's family given that he and Sanders wrote the bill, which was signed by Obama in August of 2014.