Trump Supproters - Defend Trump's Understanding of Tariffs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by El OchoCinco, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Ok....again for the hundreth time Trump claimed China is paying us billions in tariffs.

He cannot be this stupid so maybe his most ardent supporters can convince me with some facts.

Tariffs are import taxes paid by the importers, in this case U.S. importers are paying tariffs on Chinese goods imported.

Please tell me he is not that stupid with people like Larry Kudlow etc. on his staff and they are not all fucktarded morons who know less than a high school student studying basic economics...and still try to fool the stupid that China is paying us billions in tariffs.....

No one here is that stupid either right?

2. NQurious

NQurious

You've been on ET for how long and you doubt the level of stupidity among us?

I do believe it is possible that Trump is stupid enough to have believed that that is how tariffs worked until someone in his employ finally had balls enough to sit him down with crayons and paper and draw him a pretty picture.

This is why Trump said "most people don't know that," because whenever he says most people don't know that he means that he didn't know that until 5 minutes ago.

3. Overnight

Overnight

Sorry Mr. cat football dude...We cannot tell you he is not that stupid, because we do not know if he really is. And if we did know, we could not tell you, because he has "total authority".

El OchoCinco likes this.
  4. jem

jem

I don't know... let's review

Basics -

With quotas - the seller gets to raise prices as lower supply greets higher prices on the curves until production shifts.

Quotas - the country imposing tariffs gets the revenue (govt revenue at least) and production is likely to shift.

So now, what studies should we review to determine what happened?

5. Tariffs levied are paid by the U.S. importers.

the money coming in from Tariffs is coming in from U.S. importers who are taxed when they declare the imports for customs.

No one mentioned quotas so not relevant.

Basic English.....easy to understand..except for Trump and jem.

I buy something for $100 and it has a 25% tariff. I declare it for customs and pay the $25 tax .

I have been importing and exporting for past 20 years and dealt with tariffs both importing and with customers who I export to. I can pull hundreds of web sites on how tariffs work and they will say the same thing.

Again...how could our President NOT understand this...no one else disagrees with this yet you still want to debate it?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Frederick Foresight and NQurious like this.
  6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

This all gets back to what is the purpose of tariffs.

The purpose of tariffs is to protect your domestic national industries.

The side-effect is that tariffs raise prices on goods generally when cheaper foreign goods have tariffs applied to them.

7. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Products from the country being levied with tariffs become more expensive than for countries without tariffs. Trump gets the Chinese to after to a bunch of stuff including purchasing 250 billion dollars worth of goods and services that the Chinese were buying from other countries, and on top of that he keeps the tariffs on.

How deep did China have it's finger up our ass that they agreed to this? That is the question you should be asking.

8. Look...Trump said

CHINA IS PAYING BILLIONS IN TARIFFS INTO THE TREASURY

this is wrong and all of you that agree this is wrong but no one ever corrects him, he just said it 2 days ago.

The purpose of tariffs...irrelevant to who pays them.

Tariffs raise prices on goods...guess who it raises prices on? U.S. importers. China imports have not dropped off by any major degree so we are paying the tariffs.

C'mon guys.....there are a lot of college degrees in this room, why do I have to keep exlaining it.

9. OK I will type slowly as some of you still don't get it.

products from country being levied with tariffs become more expensive...

WHO
    PAYS
    THAT
    TARIFF
    AND
    HIGHER
    PRICE?

U.S. does...not China.

China did not pay billions in tariffs to the U.S. treasury.

10. Tariffs are taxes on goods coming in to the U.S., paid by the importer. The exporter — in this scenario, China — doesn't pay a thing

#10     Apr 15, 2020