Trump readying another 267 billion in Chinese tariffs

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cuddles, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Sprout

Sprout

(sigh),... personally I think he's an evil genius and won't get into a debate here. You might want to check out the trump-o-meter for the current state of trump's promises made, kept and broken:

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/browse/?page=1

#41     Sep 26, 2018
  2. Overnight

Overnight

You did not answer the question, and it has nothing to do with politics...

We have kids flunking out or leaving school to work at minimum-wage jobs..

#42     Sep 26, 2018
  3. Sprout

Sprout

You must have ES on ignore, I quoted his comment.

His question was "How will we ever replace him?" That's pretty easy. Just vote.

Currently there are more millennials of voting age than there are baby boomers. In general they are much more attune to social and economic justice than materialism. Older folks working longer into what was once retirement age are not releasing jobs back into the economy that the younger workforce would 'normally' acquire.

Trump's base is a vocal minority and the economic card is a red herring. He's popular among his base because he's a poor man's idea of rich, a racist, a misogynist and a white supremacist tapping into a cultural angst of an entire generation that felt left behind in terms of economic recovery. He clothes it in a 1950's sense of patriotism and nationalism.

Look at the environmental disaster that is in the wake of hurricane Florence in the Carolina's. The rollback of environmental water protection is instant karma for them. Also worthy of note is the state's GOP passing legislation making reference to the science of climate change illegal.
    Well, now look at the value of RE development that was allowed due to 'heads up their asses or in the sand as the case may be'.

To answer your question. Kid's flunk out because they are smart enough to realize the system 'as is' is something they want no part in. The educational system as it's designed is not to promote independent thinking and solutions to problems but to create a conditioned response to authority.

Young people see the hypocrisy that surrounds them and can easily fall into depression and despair. Work a minimum wage job for any length of time and one either 'gives up' on their dreams or does whatever it takes to change their situation for the better.
    The circumstances might stimulate the desire and for some the system is structurally and culturally stacked against them.

However, for someone that gets clear within themselves of what they want, what inspires them, what makes them eager to jump out of bed in the morning, those are the folks that will bring about focused positive change - not only for themselves but also for the circles of intimacy that they'll built around themselves.

As for Trump, you get what you give. All this vitrol coming back at him was initially sourced by him. He was born into privilege and lacks the awareness that makes it an asset and as such it is a blindspot liability.

#43     Sep 26, 2018
  4. Thus I am a full time trader.

ES

#44     Sep 26, 2018
  5. themickey

themickey

I agree with your post, and I'm not a Trump fan, but I kind of agree with what Trump is doing.
    China has come up thru the ranks of a 3rd world country to nearly a 1st world, it's prosperity has been of phenonomal speed. The West has allowed China to succeed and encouraged it, but me thinks China is now trying to influence the world with its ways and by insiduous takeover.
    The West has finally woken up and it has coincidentally come on Trump's watch.
    Now Trump is no pussy whereas Obama probably was, and many other Western leaders (including Australian) are gutless short term thinkers who only care about making a quick buck now and don't care too much about the future.
    Trump is hitting the brakes hard on China, it is not a level playing field that commerce is played on.
    Trump I believe is a strategist, he bluffs a lot and it works for him. The tariffs is just one tool he is using to turn the big ship (which is China's way of doing business) around smartly, nothing else will work.
    USA was very prosperous and too lenient in the past, carrying too much of the worlds costs, now USA is saying, "hey! it's time you paid your way"
    Getting the child off the teet can be painful.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    #45     Sep 27, 2018
    traderob and ElectricSavant like this.
  6. copa8

copa8

Try setting up a business in India. :vomit:

#46     Sep 27, 2018
  7. Humpy

Humpy

Hurrah 2 intelligent replies. One from drcha and one from sprout.
    A pity Trump doesn't listen in.

#47     Sep 28, 2018
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

9. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

There is no real way to deal with the man he's irrational. The only reason he decides to reconsider tariffs is if the negative impact on them is right in his face and he can't blame it on someone else in a believable manner. The negatives are starting to show now and they may get a lot worse before policy catches up.

#49     Oct 27, 2018
    elitenapper likes this.
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/29/us-...tariff-wave-if-trump-xi-trade-talks-fail.html

US reportedly planning tariffs on remaining $257 billion in Chinese goods if Trump-Xi talks fail
    Thomas Franck | @tomwfranck
    Published 1 Hour AgoUpdated 52 Mins AgoCNBC.com
    • The U.S. is preparing new tariffs against all remaining Chinese imports if talks between Presidents Donald Trump and Xi Jinping fail, according to Bloomberg.
    • The new round of taxes against goods from China could occur as early as December and target the rest of the imports from China, about $257 billion worth.
    • The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell more than 100 points following the trade news, erasing a 350-point gain earlier in the session.

#50     Oct 29, 2018