Trump Is Right to Battle China on Trade, But Now Comes the Hard Part

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bone, May 14, 2019.

1. bone

bone

What would be “the right way” ? I’m quite curious. Don’t say: “file a case with WTO” because despite its membership obviously China blatantly ignores WTO rules and rulings.

#11     May 14, 2019
    dozu888 likes this.
  2. dozu888

dozu888

actually - regarding soy - think about what Trump is doing here... he is putting his own voter base at risk..

this is a move that any career politician would never make, which is why any previous administration, not of the US, but any other western countries that have been taken advantage of by China, didn't do a thing... because they'd never have the political will to piss off their own voter base to get something done.

Trump is a true god send, this country is so blessed, that at this critical moment somehow he pulled off an election out of nowhere and looks like he's gonna reverse the course of America gradually losing domination.

#12     May 14, 2019
    smallfil and steve2222 like this.
  3. piezoe

piezoe

To paraphrase Gerry Spence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Spence) the cowboy lawyer from Wyoming, you're never going to get anyone to agree to something that isn't in their own best own interest. Every masterful negotiator understands this. Every successful negotiation must recognize this reality. You must find a win-win solution to every conflict, or suffer the dismal consequences.

This is why Trump is a failure as a negotiator. He bullies and threatens -- the tactic of mob bosses. And ultimately, I suppose, it is why, once he'd run out of daddy's money, he was forced to support his lavish lifestyle with guile and bank credit, later defaulted on, or by bilking investors in his many failed schemes, or by laundering ill gotten gains for Russian Mafia. His two major successes have been as a TV Star and in getting himself elected, with Russian help, to the Presidency. He is truly remarkable in that respect! I would guess it is the rare criminal of great infamy that can not be said to have been truly remarkable in one way or another. Take Jeffrey Dahmer, for example. How truly remarkable it is that he was able get so many young men cut up and into his freezer before anyone noticed that something was seriously awry.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    #13     May 14, 2019
    SunTrader likes this.
  4. dozu888

dozu888

this is where different cultures clash... for China it's all about 'I win you lose', thru all these years in the WTO.

sure, win-win is the best scenario, but that does not mean maximum benefit for 1 party... very key difference here.

right now what are China's options - rock and a hard place... if they don't cave in they face economic collapse... if they agree to abide by the WTO rules, they will have slower growth, they will face more western competition.... so which one is the 'win' between the rock and the hard place :)

#14     May 14, 2019
    smallfil and steve2222 like this.
  5. dozu888

dozu888

I'd ask the same question bone just asked... what is the alternative?

China has ignored all the WTO rules been getting away with it... what is the 'right way'? what do you do if they ignore and refuse to open their markets - which is what they have been doing for years.

#15     May 14, 2019
    smallfil likes this.
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

He is crazy, Arrogant and delusional. Perfect for negotiations with China. Unlike any other president where china made us fold the better hand. Trump is in with 10/2 off suit and they are shakling with his all in.

#16     May 14, 2019
    dozu888 and steve2222 like this.
  7. dozu888

dozu888

The Chinese always knew the the US politicians dont have the political will to do anything about trade, because career politicians only care about the votes for the next election..

tough for them... Trump came... guy doesn't care about the next election.. well he cares, but he cares about MAGA.

that's the difference.

#17     May 14, 2019
    smallfil, steve2222 and ElCubano like this.
  8. volpri

volpri

Me thinks you have lost your way...

#18     May 14, 2019
    Optionpro007 likes this.
  9. bone

bone

OK, Orange Man Bad. I hear you and I take your point. So I'll ask once again. What would be “the right way” ? I’m quite curious. Don’t say: “file a case with WTO” because despite its membership obviously China blatantly ignores WTO rules and rulings.

#19     May 14, 2019
    alexpun likes this.
  10. [​IMG]

#20     May 14, 2019
    Tsing Tao and dozu888 like this.