Trump Faces Bush "Read My Lips--No New Taxes" Moment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Dec 7, 2016.

1. President Bush won the 1988 campaign on his signature "Read my Lips" promise. After mild criticism from the mainstream media and democrats, he cravenly folded and did sign on to new taxes. The media exulted in ruining his presidency, democrats mocked him and voters had their first taste of getting backstabbed by a cuck republican. Needless to say, he lost reelection to a sex-crazed Bill Clinton and his adoring wife, Eva Peron Rodham Clinton.

Trump was elected on one issue and one issue only, immigration. Without pushing an end to illegal immigration and a skeptical view of refugee programs, Trump would never have gotten through the primaries. To the horror of the party establishment, he didn't back off after securing the nomination. If anything, he doubled down, even as he was lectured by the media and party honchos that he was not only dooming his own meager chances but those of republican senate and house candidates. Of course, they were all dead wrong, not that it matters to them. All they care about is making Trump into George Bush 41.

As Ann Coulter notes:

"Only when it comes to immigration will Trump be Gary Cooper, out there alone against every powerful entity in America. Just as he was during the campaign[​IMG].

On immigration, Trump will be furiously opposed by: Democrats, Republicans, the permanent bureaucracy, the Chamber of Commerce, George Soros, The Wall Street Journal -- in fact, the entire media, except four webpages, six bloggers and five talk-radio hosts -- and hundreds of taxpayer-funded immigrant grievance groups. And that's just off the top of my head.

He'll even be opposed by his own hand-picked U.N. ambassador! (It is an amazing fact that at the 2016 State of the Union, both the Democratic president's address, and the Republican governor's response, attacked candidate Trump's immigration proposals.) "

... .
    "Trump is down to his last wish from Aladdin. He can impress The New York Times, or he can make America great again. But he can't do both. "

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2016-12-07.html#read_more

With this background, it is worrying that the key posts of Secretary of State and Director of Homeland Security are yet unfilled. It's not like there are not people available who would move swiftly to implement Trump's agenda. People like Kris Korbach, Sec. of State of Kansas, or Rep. Dana Rohrbacher, or even Amb. John Bolton. There are reports that he is picking another general to fill Homeland Security. While not the worst pick in the world, it amps up the pressure to get a deputy in there who will see to immigration.

Trump can do a lot of it himself, things like building the wall, shutting off muslim immigration, ending the anchor baby scam. But others, like deporting illegals and criminals, and tightening up visa operations, will require leadership at the agency level. Trump will be attacked viciously on all sides when he starts this. He only gets one shot at it. It's either victory or see "Build the wall" join "Read my lips" as terms of derision.

traderob likes this.
  2. achilles28

achilles28

Disappointed in Anne. I have more faith in Trump. Give him a year. Playing possum. If he goes Judas, his base will destroy him.

3. Ann is wrong. While illegal immigration was/is an issue, jobs far outweigh the building of some wall. Behind that is everything else. He gives all these tax breaks to the corporate cartels they damn well better deliver the jobs and I mean in a big way. A HUGE way to put it in Trump speak. These fucks get the breaks they've been whining about for years and then pocket it all, Trump is done, and he's done right quick

4. Ricter

Ricter

You're right, Cap'n. Even among republican voters immigration comes in fourth place on polling for "the issues that most concern me". Coulter has a mania on this, and it appears the entire Drumpf presidency will in her opinion be an utter failure or an indisputable success solely dependent on if she gets her way re immigration. She was the one who said she'd be ok with it if Ted Cruz did late term abortions right in the Oval office, if he would solve the immigration problem.

Yes, I realize she's peddling books, and there's a market for shrieking. Demonic! Lol.

By the way, isn't it "YUGE"?
    : )

5. jem

jem

you can't separate jobs, wages and immigration.

6. Ricter

Ricter

You can't separate E=MC^2, either, but some factors have more weight.

7. Just taking on Obamacare will satisfy many of his supporters.

8. Sad, too. Immigration is an existential threat to everything we call "America", but the politicos want the immigrant vote in their column to support reelection.... and are willing to sacrifice the entire country for their political careers. And of course, the MSM is "all in" with the Lefties on this.

Scary as well as shameful.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  9. With respect, you were not a Trump supporter. I am not sure you appreciate how important the wall is to those who stood in line for his rallies.

A minor increase in taxes did not have a huge effect on the economy, but it did destroy Bush's presidency. Because he had chosen to make it his signature issue, it had symbolic importance far out of proportion to its actual effect.

Same with Trump and the wall. Reasonable people can argue that there are better, more cost efficient ways to secure the border. But Trump can't stand in front of some drones and electronic surveillance towers four years from now and say "I promised a wall and I delivered."

There is another factor that his supporters appreciate. If we build that fucking wall, the next president is not going to be able to tear it down. The next president however could easily revert to the Bush/Obama open borders policy in the absence of a wall.

10. Ricter

Ricter

Lol, walls can be taken down.

#10     Dec 8, 2016