TRUMP EFFECT Closing the border with Mexico could bring the auto industry to a halt, experts say

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ajacobson, Apr 2, 2019.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson

2. Illegal immigration is an existential threat for America. That should be first consideration. If border security causes a few bumps and bruises, so be it.

3. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

This is something that should have been done a decade ago. Best president ever

traderob likes this.
  4. DaveV

DaveV

How does closing the border stop illegal immigration? Would it stop only LEGAL immigration?

comagnum likes this.
  5. I thought he meant close the border to ALL crossings. That means putting tens of thousands of troops on the border to stop everything. That's what he should have done sooner.

6. volpri

volpri

Mexico is aiding and abetting the caravans from central america as they pass through Mexico. Mexico receives millions yearly in aid from USA and then we have goods that flow both ways in trade deals. Closing the border is a way of forcing Mexico to stop these caravans. I resided in Southern Mexico close to Guatemala for 12 years or so.

AAAintheBeltway likes this.
  7. Jack W

Jack W

Last I read, Trump has backed off the closing the border thing, again today. It's very strange that this is what the man ran on, and we have such a huge issue at the borders right now. I'm all for legal immigration, but the illegal immigration problem has become a very serious issue. Somethings got to give. What will it be? I have no clue. You couldn't pay me enough to be president, what a thankless job.

bullmarket79 likes this.
  8. DaveV

DaveV

Actually Mexico gets very little direct aid from the USA. $290 million per year, of which about 70% is for combating narcotics traffic from Mexico into the USA. The number of Mexican jobs that are dependent on trade with the USA -- that's a whole different story.
    https://explorer.usaid.gov/cd/MEX

9. Trump will never actually do anything meaningful to curb immigration. When it comes to issues his base actually cares about, he is all talk no action. Sad!

AAAintheBeltway likes this.
  10. Jack W

Jack W

I can't argue with that response at all. I think you're correct. It is sad!

#10     Apr 2, 2019