TrueTrade, Java/IB trading & backtesting

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by tyro_t, May 3, 2007.

1. kazik1616

kazik1616

Hello,
    Adrian sent me e-mail that he no longer has a time to develop the project. He gave me commiter rights to the project.

I have already committed big revision 150 which includes following improvements:
    * Code cleanup (non-functional)
    * Added force index and elder bull/bear indicators (see TaLib class)
    * Added percentage margin (given percent of the transaction)
    * Many bugs fixed.

What I am going to do in the near future:
    * Add tripple screen strategy
    * Improvements in simulation stats (fill missing fields)
    * Use embedded database. No more MySQL installation and configuration :)

I am looking for a person who would like to create startup logo. Any volunteers?

Please let me know what else you would like to have. Comments and patches are welcome.

Regards,
    Chris

#81     Jan 16, 2012
  2. Hi team,

I am unable to setup the project in eclipse. It throws eclipse errors and libraries missing. Could you check in if there are any jar files or plug-ins missing in the project truetrade.

Thanks,
    Raj

#82     Jan 31, 2012
  3. byteme

byteme

I remember TrueTrade. At the time I had mixed feelings about it being based on the Eclipse RCP framework - I still find Eclipse to be a bit of a resource hog. Having said that, Marketcetera also based part of their solution on Eclipse RCP too and I once built some SWT ticker components when I was planning to do the same. I digress...

I think the logo is the last thing you should be worrying about for the moment. However, if you can get some funding, better to get a professional to do it rather than rely on some typical open source amateur effort. The presentation of the project admittedly does influence people's likelihood of interest in it.

www.thelogocompany.net
    www.99designs.com

Other than that, it's far too difficult to get this thing running/compiling for someone with a casual interest. Removing the MySQL dependency is a good start. How about including Eclipse project files or simply Mavenizing it so all dependencies are automatically downloaded?

There are little to no tests, unit or otherwise - doesn't give confidence when money is on the line.

There are little to no Javadoc comments and barely any in-line commenting either - typical of non-professional single developer coding style who hasn't had commercial experience developing in a team with a need for software maintainability.

Other suggestions:

- Move to Git/Mercurial.
    - You can keep it on Google code but also consider GitHub or somewhere else with better issue management integrated and ability for people to easily fork the project.
    - CI - Jenkins or TeamCity ( free Jenkins hosting for open source projects at JenkinsHosting.com)

Good luck resurrecting this project. Every few months people come on here and talk about starting another open source project. Almost all of them have ended up not materializing or become vaporware very quickly.

TradeLink is one of the exceptions.

EDIT: Sorry for replying to a 2 week old post.

#83     Jan 31, 2012
  4. small one-off projects is why we encourage people who want to work on an open source project, to come work with us rather than starting from scratch. you will be behind starting from scratch, and you likely get further behind having less contributors.

other reasons to build off whats out there :

tradelink can run on windows and unix (you should be able to run it)
    it's HFT-level fast (10us = .01ms on reasonably recent machine).
    live and historical (ensure you can make $ with it)
    multi-instrument L1/L2 tick and bars (any strategy should work)
    4 different asset classes traded actively (any instrument)
    10+ data imports, 15+ brokers (you're getting the idea)
    you can build strategies or full applications.
    You can also build new connectors (inside or outside the project)
    there's video tutorials and 350+ developers to discuss things with

tradelink is LGPL which is commercial friendly.

we've been open source since 2008 and in production since 2007. we're getting bigger not smaller (our developer list tripled last year).

TL isn't perfect. there are definately many things that can be improved. that is why if you're a good coder and want to work in an open source community, we'd love to hear your ideas and contributions.

we're looking to organize a tradelink hackathon for both experienced tradelink-ers and newbs. stay tuned. google tradelink or tradelink.org for more info

#84     Jan 31, 2012
  5. I am trying to build the TrueTrade code and it seems like it is missing a lot of the source from the SVN repository (someone delete it?).

some packages such as:

com.ats.engine !!
    com.ats.db
    com.ats.platform

Are missing sources...Does anyone have a complete download from the last posted revision?

Can someone ZIP the src and send it to me? Or post it in the defects section of the project.
    https://code.google.com/p/truetrade/

Once I get the code to build it, I'd like to resurrect the project and convert it to a more standardized maven build so more users can easily contribute to it. I am also planning on removing the SQL dependencies and possibly using an embedded java db.

Larry
    larryjag99@gmail.com

#85     Nov 13, 2013
  6. Butterfly

Butterfly

Just another dead project, the web is full of them, hundreds like this

best option is to build your own small optimized libs using Eclipse RCP as the base GUI framework and avoid everything else, that is the dozens of unnecessary framework that pollute Eclipse SDK.

#86     Nov 14, 2013