True Truths about Fibonacci

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by harrytrader, Jun 25, 2003.

1. ETRDR

ETRDR

Though my present method calls for no "use" of Fibonacci #'s so I haven't used them per say, in over 4 years, I must say that for the prior 7 years I found them occurring with extreme frequency (within 2 or less points) of actual SP 500 areas of support/resistance, intraday reversals (bounces) and certainly "fit" into the vast majority of Elliott wave patterns.

But as with all patterns - the viewer is a critical factor - we don't always see what "is", but what we expect it see. It is a know fact in sciewntific research that it is almost, if not completely, impossible to test anything without the test or testor having some effect on the thing being tested or studied.

A weakness for me was interpreting early enough, what pattern was actually unfolding until certain criterion were met - as at the time I was too impatient to handle the larger swings (drawdowns) required to "let" the pattern unfold.

For some time I subscribed to Elliott wave, and although picking future directions and predicting collapses way ahead of seeing the larger wave structures completely develop, in my opinion was foolish and some egotistical attempt to prove something.

However, I'll never forget the newsletter of either September or October 1987. It DID, in detail, describe the upcoming October crash. I don't recall the issue as I don't recall if issues were released at the beginning or end of the month -

As part of the newsletter, there was the primary interpretation - "bullish market", then there were a couple of "alternate" wave interpretations described on the last page.

On Friday's open, October 16, 1987 I bought OEX puts one strike below the current level believing that the we were siting on the preface described in one of those "alternate" interpretations, and if correct, it was the day I'd been waiting for, for a long time.

A Friday expiration where just out the money premiums would be at their lowest, and potential, therefore, greatest. Plus no waiting around to see the outcome - great for impatient me.

I started Friday with just under $7,000, willing to risk half, by the close I had over 32,000, rolled into next cycle - very overpriced I thought at a 16 premium (remember when the furture had positive premium to the cash- and exited Monday with 64,000 - had much more but my broker kept saying he couldn't get quote and fill info - get out - it's going to bounce, etc, so I got out.

MY problem was I tried applying these patterns in the options market where direction is important, but emotion and time of entry are equally or possibly more important, and I exercised poor management by going for the long shots - short term out the money big hits. My the majority were winners, but I let them "ride the wave" looking for more - but wave move up and down, and time keeps passing - so priums deminished and i road most positions to exit as losers, still most often after they expired they "would have been winners - had I bouth another cycle out, or took my profits along the way - learned all about the "greed" factor the hard way..

That lead me to the method of SP futures trading I use today.

It works on a 5-min chart, trades average 28 mins, drawdowns intraday average under 5 points (range 0 to 10), profits average more than anyone here would believe, and best of all it's simple. And using fixed exit targets elimated the greed factor - do I catch tops and bottoms of a move - by accident maybe 1 in maybe 75 or 100 times - don't keep count - but who cares (actually some part of me does - but he'll have to just tolerate me, he can't run me any more.

Though Fib, Elliott, Gann, etc. played no conscious design part in the evolution of the method, having had knowledge of them may have helped me "see" the patterns I now use.

Once in a while when I get a trade signal that my mind "doubts" is realistic in "this" market, I even weaken for a moment and throw Fib lines on the day's extremes to see if it makes sense within those - most often it does and that makes me feel a little "safer" taking the trade - I take the trade either way, but as much as I work to keep my "mind" out of my trading it creeps in sometimes and needs a little pampering.

I must admit the surprise when I find 5 out of 6 times I do this my system target and the Fib numbers are within 1.00 to 1.25 of each other.

Again, I may only do this 2-3 times a week or less as time passes, and average 40 trades weekly, so statistically this is of no significance, but still I find it "interestingly repetitive".

Sometime I think my current method works so well because it gives no attention to what people may be thinking, what the world appears to be doing, it only responds to what the price is doing now in relation to the prior 10 to maybe 60 minutes at most.

Where it will outside of the next 6 to 8 point range (3 to either way) is of absolutely no concern to me or the method. When this trade ends, it's just a matte of awaiting the next signal, buy or sell, it's no matter, it just is going on NOW.

Statistically, averaging better than 8 trades a day, I'm not more than 25 minutes from the next trade as the last trade took on average 20+ minutes. So this handled my lack of patience.

I guess that's why I found the trading "diet" I can live with - fits my personality, avoiding large setbacks (fear), neutralizing greed, and satisfying my need for relatively immediate results.

For me ithis also raises the question of why Trend Lines work so well (again not part of my method) - just an unavoidable observation after seeing charts daily for so many years, Is there some magic that make prices follow a line, or are there enough people who "believe" that prices move along a line and set their buy and sells accordingly.

Somewhere I read: "A lie told often enough, becomes a belief, and finally a truth."

Good trading to all
    ETRDR

#51     Oct 5, 2003
  2. Hubert

Hubert

take a look it might be helpful

#52     Oct 5, 2003
  3. Hubert

Hubert

#53     Oct 5, 2003
  4. "5,000 Year-Old Formula" ??? I'm always astonished by the Marketing of these guys :D

#54     Oct 14, 2003
  5. Interesting thread . And you pinpoint the problem: SUBJECTIVITY. And because of that Elliott has never been able to demonstrate to academics that it really works. But time has changed : HarryTrader has came to save the Elliottists as they are condemned by the Orthodoxy :D. I prepare a graphic for that will post it later.

#55     Oct 14, 2003
  6. Hubert

Hubert

yeah they are funny

EXSPOSED ... REVEALED ... NEVER BEFORE SEEN EXCEPT for every trader that i know except for you come on click here

come i have the secret no i have the secret

lol

#56     Oct 14, 2003
  7. Harry...

You seem to go the opposite direction as me. You started as quant. then modeling esoteric stuff. I started with the esoteric and going into quant..

But... talking as a Gann/esoteric expert, definitely you're on the right track. :)

#57     Oct 14, 2003
  8. Not at all that's the point: I strictly deny the argumentation of Prechter and Elliotistes that the fibonacci ratios has its origin with Psychology of crowd which is completely ESOTERIC : as I said because of "El Farol Problem" as exposed by quantitative model. More generally I deny that the Market is driven by psychology of crowd which is said to be irrational whereas I pretend that the market is not the crowd and so can behave RATIONALLY - can doesn't mean must but since I have found a quantitative model I affirm that it behaves as such - if not so my model wouldn't work because it is a QUANTITATIVE RATIONALLY ECONOMIC MODEL that doesn't take into account the psychology of crowd since it is IMPOSSIBLE to model this crowd - see again El Farol reference - this DISCARDS AUTOREALISATION OF ESOTERIC FADS - at least as main causal explanation - as believed by many. My model is based upon solving the "Efficiency Market Hypothesis" which is typically a quant problem - see my article on the homepage "understanding academics debate about Efficiency."

QUANTITATIVE RATIONALLY ECONOMIC MODEL means that it deals with COST and BENEFITS and not with PSYCHOLOGY or WORST ESOTERISM. That's what I said in fact in my mailing this morning:

Date: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:28 am
    Subject: Introducing market cycle theory

As remark in previous message
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/harrytrader2000/message/73 we said
    "Feynman-like effect is omnipresent in fact it is a
    central concept to grasp the inner details of cyclic behavior of the
    market.". This is what we're going to introduce today (we will
    prepare a detailed article one day on the site).

On this picture
    http://tinyurl.com/qud3 (or http://www.econometric-
    wave.com/market/images/2003/october/d
    ji/141003/introduction_to_cycle_theory.gif)

you can see the blue arrows which cycles around the projection line
    with dot lines representing Feynman-like-effect (for description see
    first article on homepage http://www.econometric-wave.com).

We have also added the ewave representation which is based on
    fibonacci ratios. It is pseudo-elliott waves so don't be disturbed
    if it doesn't follow all the rules of Elliott since our rules are
    very simple and mechanic, and the very difference is that the first
    seed wave is not chosen SUBJECTIVELY but uses the first segement of
    the FUNDAMENTAL model. As we have clearly stated on our homepage
    article the FUNDAMENTAL model DOESN'T USE Fibonacci ratios at all -
    since this would be an adhoc hypothesis that is totally unjustified
    from econometric point of view - so that Fibonaccis ratios appears
    only at output. Because of the two reasons above - NO SUBJECTIVITY
    and NO ADHOC FIBONACCI HYPOTHESIS we can somehow demonstrate that
    Fibonacci ratios existence is not justified by psychology of an
    IRATIONAL crowd - as stated by the Elliottists - but by a
    mathematical reason that is an artefact or property of a fundamental
    and RATIONAL econometric set of equations.

That's all for the moment. We will detail further in a future article
    on the site.

Good Trade to All
    econometric-wave
    http://www.econometric-wave.com/

#58     Oct 14, 2003
  9. I just encountered this add below: funny how Marketing Scheme have much ressemblance (compare with above) WHATEVER the QUICK-GET RICH PRODUCT also they claim that there is "No games, tricks, or schemes." :D

Learn A Simple Internet Income Secret
    That's Making People Over $345,000 Yearly Everyday!
    Just Give Me 3 Minutes Of Your Time.

No games, tricks, or schemes. I will show you how you can make over $6,750 a week using the internet.
    LET'S TALK

Hi, my name is Jean, and I have been in the internet business for over 10 years. When I first entered into this type business I was very skeptical. I had seen websites, newspapers, magazines, and television ads on how to make it big on the internet. So, like anyone else wanting to be rich. I found myself exploring Internet money making programs. I would sign up with companies or individuals anticipating they could help me run a successfully Internet business that really worked. But, that never seemed to happen. Never the less, I never gave up because I knew there was a way to strike it wealthy. So, I searched and searched trying different approaches to the Internet business. As time went by I started improving and becoming increasingly educated in this field. Then, one afternoon BOOM! It Hit Me! A Internet method that would make me Big Money! Once I stumbled onto this incredible technique, it was time to put it to the test. Just as I Hoped! I had credit card orders coming in so fast; I started to believe I was in a big dream and I was soon to wake up out of it. But, it was no dream, it was real.
    As seen in the #1 home based business magazine in the nation (Small Business Opportunities Magazine)
    Sit back and let me lead the way to a secret most successful Internet business owners wished you never knew!

IT'S YOUR TURN

Now that I have figured out the mystery to the internet business, I have seriously been pushed to reveal this hidden information to the thousands of people interested in a Internet business that really works. I want to help others fulfill their dreams of financial freedom. I am giving what took me 10 years to achieve, to you, for one day of your time to learn. Yes, you heard me right, one day. All you have to do is follow my step by step instructions and you're on your way. Questions You May be Asking Yourself: Is this real? This can't be that easy? Nobody practically gives away this kind of valuable information? The Answers: This is very real, easy, and being made public because, I am so fed up with these companies and individuals that are ripping people off and just plain lying to them with internet business programs that don't work.

Well, No more. So, for a limited time only! I have made it my job to inform you of a Internet Income Secret that is making people wealthy everyday. It's just not fair for people who have figured out the Internet business system to be entirely selfish or so afraid that if they uncover this secret, the market may become dangerously over flooded. IT'S NOT TRUE. There is enough business to go around for everyone to succeed. So, if you don't mind working from home (1 hour a day) you must take advantage of this Once in a Lifetime Opportunity! You will thank me for it. Guaranteed! NOTE: You will basically have to do no homework with this system because, the package is completely error free and the work has already been done.

" After Receiving Countless Requests,
    I Have Agreed To Reveal This Information
    One More Time"

A LITTLE PROOF

I want to show you a little proof about the income I receive from one of my websites. Now, I know there are alot of companies and individuals that claim they can show you how to make $1,000's of dollars a week, but the truth of the matter is, they are not even making any money their selves while trying to show you how to make money. What sense does that make. Well, I am going to show you proof of the money I make then turnaround and show you how to do the same.
    I want to make you very comfortable with the information I supply here at my website that I have decided to show you screen shots of my paypal.com Internet account and my affiliate program account with clickbank.com Both paypal and clickbank are the #1 payment and affiliate systems on the web.

#59     Nov 9, 2003