Trouble sleeping

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by cashmoney69, Oct 23, 2006.

1. #41     Oct 26, 2006
  2. ultranet

ultranet

I m taking melatonin.....
    it has no side effects lately

#42     Oct 26, 2006
  3. Is Melatonin addictive? Damn rain woke me, ruined my lunesta dreams!:D

#43     Oct 26, 2006
  4. MaxLD

MaxLD

This topic has been pretty much covered. My input would be to remember that the best investment you can make in your school years is in your education. The market will always be there for investment AFTER you have invested in yourself first. One day you can bring serious money to the markets. It's true what they say. You need to have money to make money. There is no getting around that one.

Maybe your situation is different from when I was in school...I was poor. Some might think it foolish to risk money in the markets, money that is needed for a much more important goal. I'd be losing sleep too and that money then becomes "scared money". Your chances of making bad market decisions increase when you look at money in a fearful state.

Keep up with your studies, get off the drugs and maybe get laid more often.

JMHO
    Good luck

#44     Oct 26, 2006
  5. volente_00

volente_00

Remove all caffeine from your diet. Flatten your positions EOD if they are mentally affecting your life outside the market.

#45     Oct 26, 2006
  6. I can relate to you completely bro. I'm in college right now and trading definetely put a strain on me. I thought it was a problem with me but to fix the problem, I had to attack the root. Since my account could barely tolerate risk, I realized that it was the fear of losing that was really getting to me.

I would stay awake thinking what tomorrow would bring, but in reality each thought had a strong undertone of, "WillI lose tomorrow? WIll I live to trade another day?". Trading is how I make my living so I couldn't just stop but I realized that it was better to stop than to trade and lose.

I spent about 2 weeks just thinking of a new approach to trading and I finally fixed it. I have my whole system coded and automated now and I let the computer take care of the trading. I just have to verify the fill before the order gets filled. It's made it a lot easier but I still get stressed out on a bad day (rare now but it still happens). I also trade in such a way that no loss can really hurt me. Actually, I leave myself room for about 5 consecutive losses even though my system at max has a max consecutive loss factor of 1 (so far). This way, even if I lose, I will live to see another day. The profits go down, but the losses due to and your spirit goes up.

I am also getting a job to take some of the stress off. Unless you've made it really big in trading and have been doing it for a while conistently, you haven't made it enough to quit your dayjob. The security of a guaranteed paycheck really does relieve some of the stress if it is bothering you that much.

And trust me, college is more important than trading. I'm all for the whole do it yourself deal and I am starting up a business right now but even than, I am still persuing a doctorate (still just a sophmore though). College is security and if trading has taught you anything, it should be that security is a good thing. Do not roll dice with life.

Also, I'd definetely stay away from the meds and red bull.. that crap will screw you up. I use to work at a pharmacy and half the people that take stuff to get em past stuff like this could have done it without it and they would have been better off. I'm not saying some people don't genuinly need the meds, but I think this is more of an emotional/mental problem that can be fixed by changing your perception and logic on the matter, not be changing the chemical processes of your body. (just my opinion)

Don't forget man, trading is something that you do to live, you do not live to trade. Never blur that line to the point where you are nothing more than a limit order away from happiness and sadness.

Of course, I do not state any of this with an intent of patronizing you. I merely want to share my experience with you on a similar matter and I sincerely hope that it helps. Good luck bro.

#46     Nov 5, 2006
  7. Cash, the reason you can't sleep is because you're not profitable. as easy as that. From what i remember zanger is your hero -- this is not a zanger-type market (he's down for the year). if you want to trade like zanger, then stop trading. wait for those 1-3 rockets that setup for the year (like his goog aapl last year) and then put on positions like he does -- that is basically a few times a year.

and your fighter-pilot analogy is immature crap -- there will be lots of time for practice once you graduate. concentrate on school -- you will never be able to go back to those precious 4 yrs and if you screw up now, you could screw up your whole career.

Get a grip, and don't take yourself so seriously (and for god's sake, know something about your stocks, you're the kid who couldn't figure out why your FLSH dumped on you that day -- you should have known that SNDK had bot over FLSH and SNDK had earnings that day).

#47     Nov 5, 2006
    #48     Nov 6, 2006
  9. mizreal

mizreal

You should reduce your trading, it's no good for you if you can't sleep. You could also cut your trading size so that you're able to handle it psychologically.

#49     Nov 6, 2006
  10. Thanks. It is one of the sayings I live by that keep me from insanity.

#50     Nov 15, 2006