Trouble sleeping :(

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Kastro_316, Jan 13, 2006.

1. mtwokay

mtwokay

I went to the local health food store the other day to purchase valerian and kava and the in-house "expert" talked me into purchasing calcium-magnesium. Any comments on this supplement? I haven't really noticed any difference. If it doesn't work I’m going back for the two aforementioned items. Oh, and she also recommended chai tea 30min before bed.

#51     Jan 17, 2006
  2. Chai tea contains milk, black tea, and spices.

And black tea contains caffeine. You definitely don't want to take that before bedtime.

#52     Jan 17, 2006
  3. There have been some studies lately stating that coffee has the
    most powerfull anti-inflammatory chemicals in it in the world. I have
    also read that it is the #1 source of potassium for adults in the USA.

I can drink coffee at night and still sleep. It is mind over matter.

I also believe that new science has stated that inflammation is a
    big cause of cancer in the body. So maybe coffee could help?

Time to go to Starbucks and get a cup...:p

P.S. Just don't put sugar in it. Use a sugar substitute. And lots
    of creamer, ect., to make it taste oh so smooth...:cool:

#53     Jan 17, 2006
  4. Sleep depends on your brain chemistry - like anything else different people get different effects from each drug. Wish coffee and I were as compatible at night time.

Won't cure cancer sadly - not even the famous coffee enemas.

#54     Jan 17, 2006

5. Thats right, a lot of people are averse even to the caffeine in tea, i was thinking of a weak version, you could replace the black tea with green tea, camomile or just leave it out altogether.
    A pinch of cardoman seeds, a few heaped teaspoons of fennel seeds as the base , boil that up in say a cup of water, then add maybe a few glasses of milk, add a pinch of nutmeg and heat through well, with honey to sweeten.

Really a fennel milk drink/tea, not a proper chai at all.

The way the indians drink it, you probably wouldnt get to sleep-ever.

Before anyone points it out, yeah, its basically warm milk, but its worth trying, you should notice a difference.

:)

#55     Jan 17, 2006
  6. Tryptophan works great but the FDA outlawed it.

I have sleep inertia.

#56     Jan 17, 2006
  7. Hello.

Kastro, I believe the cause of your insomnia is psychological.

You are worried due to your trades.

If you can address this worry condition, u can sleep.

How to calm ur mind psychologically and make u ready to sleep:

1. Dont place ur comp in the bedroom.

2. Dont do anything else in ur bedroom except sleeping, including reading or eating or anything else.

Step 1 and 2 is to associate bedroom with sleep.

3. After work is done, shutdown the comp and unplug it, then lock the door (comp is in study room), then place this key somewhere and lock the door as well.

Step 3 is for closure.

4. Start ur bed ritual, such as changing into pyjama or drink milk or whatever.

5. Lie down in bed.

6. Pray (excuse me, I hope u dont mind, but praying is actually a great tool recommended by psychiatrists for a variety of therapeutic effects, because when u pray wholeheartedly, ur mind will feel better off and u calm down)

7. If you do not want to pray (please pray), then meditate.

Step 4-7 is sleep ritual. To auto ur mind into sleep condition.

For medium and long term, the following step 8 and 9:

8. You might want to look into structuring ur trades which can give u peace of mind.

9. Also to develop ur personality into a worry-free person. For this part on personality, I recommend Anthony Robbins or any other books are also fine.

Best wishes.

You can try herbs like what people here say, valerian and so on.....and also drink milk at dinner time. Milk can promote production of serotonin, which is a sleep inducer.....

But.... I think fundamentally you have to address ur worry/ psychological aspect. Thats why the above......Hope can help.

#57     Jan 18, 2006
  8. maxpi

maxpi

Melatonin works basically but you need to get to the underlying reason why you are not producing it on schedule. Regarding Coffee being a source of magnesium, it is, but you get a net loss of magnesium due to the stimulation from the caffeine. Coffee is a powerful anti oxidant, very powerful I guess. Before I quit coffee I got myself set up with super anti oxidant vitamins.

Oxidation is a funny thing, you can either get rid of the iron or take the anti oxidants, either way you will get the same benefit in most regards. For men, giving blood is a way to get rid of the iron or exercising will do it but it takes a really good workout and frequent as well. Men that give blood live as long/longer than those that exercise. If you can't give blood due to diseases you can probably sell it for research so you can actually 1) save the cost of vitamins 2) not have to work out as hard 3) get paid!!

#58     Jan 18, 2006
  9. maxpi,

If you were referring to my post, I think I mentioned potassium is
    in coffee. If there was a lot of magnesium, I would never get out
    of the bathroom as I would be sitting on the throne all day. In fact
    now that I think of it, coffee seems to do that anyway... :p

Jeez, maybe there is a lot of magnesium in coffee... :(

#59     Jan 18, 2006
  10. Here are a few suggestions nobody has really covered:

1) try decaf coffee and tea

2) try it again, it will eventually grow on you like a fungus

3) Yoga can work very well, but who has that much time and patience before bed? Try stretching exercises (3-8 minutes; just like you are warming up for aerobics) but don't bounce or bob up and down. That is really bad for your muscles. keep it slow and steady. clear your mind (not so easy is it?) Imagine you are in a cave. blackness. no sound. you have lit a small candle and placed it directly in front of you. you focus on the candle's flame and the very dim light it extrudes. you can see nothing beyond the flame. there IS nothing beyond the flame. the cave is damp and slightly cool, the light of the candle provides a feeling of warmth. solitude.
    focus on the warmth...

The cave contained methane deposits, it exploded when you lit the candle. You are dead and now have plenty of time to rest...;)

4) meditation was suggested many times, but most people don't even know where to start. Many just close their eyes and try to think of nothing. Ain't happenin'. Bills, Mortgage, Insurance premiums, I hate my in-laws, the dog pissed on the floor yesterday and it still stinks - whatever was troubling you in the first place will eventually become the focus and just piss you off again.

Find something that makes you feel relaxed and focus on it. No Carousel Rides! No Surfing Adventures! No Roller Coasters! Find something that is relaxing - not fun or exciting. Imagine you are in a sauna with your eyes closed... You're wading in a tropical lagoon... You're sitting on a cliff atop the grand canyon... You're sitting near a bonfire at dusk, with your horse "Shooter" and your pistol "Lucky"...

Whatever you can think of that is relaxing for you, that is what you should use as your focus. Try laying in bed, while imagining you're in a cave with a warm candle and absolutely nothing else, for longer than 10 minutes without falling asleep. It's hard to do. Try meditating at your desk when your nerves are shot, or after you just lost a chunk of money. 4-5 minutes in the middle of the Sahara desert with no wind, no animals, no people, no plants, nothing but yellow sand and blue sky. And you'll find out that whatever was bothering you 5 minutes ago isn't so bad after all.

#60     Jan 18, 2006