Trouble sleeping :(

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Kastro_316, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Do you eat 3 hours or less before trying to sleep? If you do, try not to. Whatever you do, don't medicate yourself in order to sleep. You'll pay for it later.

Also, if you drink alcohol, try not to. Three years ago I was desperate to quit smoking. I had tried and failed many times; usually my failures came when I was at the bar for a few beers with my buddies. I would just bum a smoke off someone and then buy a pack on the way home and fall off the wagon. Finally I decided that I would have to quit drinking in order to quit smoking.

I did, and my health has improved a lot. No problems sleeping, no colds, less yelling at moron drivers, better sex life etc.

#11     Jan 13, 2006

2. valerian root (holistic) or a blend of herbs with valerian/skullcap etc. (from GAIA ).

-- but the best is self-talk, deep breathing and meditation; also exercising at home earlier in evening helps me.

go to this link- type in valerian root and sleep herbs

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-b...71c18b5500c&l=&s=dwKdgEUyZt5Gg9XXRc1GWPpyxVI-

http://www.gaiaherbs.com/product.php?id=36

#12     Jan 13, 2006
  3. Also, getting on a regular sleep schedule helps as well. I try and go to bed every week night between 11-12 and wake up between 7:00-7:30. After awhile of sticking to this schedule, I find myself getting sleepy right before bed naturally and once I get in bed, I fall asleep within 15 mins.

#13     Jan 13, 2006
  4. Incorporate meditaion into your routine every evening to let you worries of the day go. If that doesn't work, try an academic history book. That should be a real sleeper.

#14     Jan 13, 2006
  5. dont

dont

Work out. Does amazing things for your sleep.

Comment about not eating 3hrs before you go to bed is also good.

Only medicate if you are having anxiety attacks. If you are your cortisol levels will be high and then you shouldn't be trading anyway.

#15     Jan 13, 2006
  6. kww

kww

Here are some suggestions you might want to try. I hope they help.

For me, t's very important to have a wind-down period right before bed. When I go from the computer straight to bed I lie there wide awake with my mind racing. I take 15-30 minutes to relax and calm down. A hot bath or shower works well for muscle tension.

Exercise is helpful, but only earlier in the day. Exercise is generally energizing and might keep you awake if you do it right before bed (this isn't true for everyone).

The most important element for me is meditation. Just 10 minutes right before bed can make a difference. When I go to bed I can tell within a few minutes whether I'm going to be able to go to sleep. If start worrying about things and jumping from thought to thought, I know it's useless to lie there. I get up and meditate in the dark until my thoughts begin to settle. When I lie back down I feel pleasantly relaxed and ready to drift off.

You could experiment with different relaxation methods to see what works for you. Learn what relaxes you and do it; learn what agitates you, and avoid doing it right before bedtime.

Wayne

#16     Jan 13, 2006
  7. Usually I dont have any problem going to sleep but if Im restless I have a LBR trading tape that I put on the dvd player when I get ready to go to sleep. I set the timer on my tv for 30 minutes but I never see it shut off.

#17     Jan 13, 2006
  8. Kastro..

aren't you paper trading your FX Gamer account? lol... Imagine the sleeplessness you might have when you go live. Or maybe.. imagine not.

#18     Jan 13, 2006
  9. No, it's live.

Wow, thank you everyone for the suggestions. I do work out 6 days a week. I do drink a shake before I go to bed maybe, i should stop that.

But I will be trying everything you guys listed. Thanks again. I'll let you know if it helps :)

My meditation, what do you mean? :)

-Kastro

#19     Jan 13, 2006
  10. pay for a

GFE imo

#20     Jan 13, 2006