Trouble at Refco

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by andyp123, Jul 20, 2005.

1. just21

just21

How do the tax breaks in Montreal compare to Gibralter (flat £10,000?) or Andorra (0%) income tax?

#61     Jan 5, 2006
  2. mcurto

mcurto

I believe in Gibraltar you have to have net worth of a few million to obtain status for the tax rate of 10,000 euros. As for Montreal, I was looking on the IFC website and it shows a 75% tax holiday on personal income taxes and also breaks on contributions to the healthcare fund as long as you work for a company in the finance industry. Not sure of Andorra.

#62     Jan 5, 2006
  3. I know the gentleman who heads up the IFC in Montreal, if anyone wants to be put in touch with him. I have had several meetings with him, and i believe he now visits the UK and Europe for at least 1 week a month.

#63     Jan 6, 2006
  4. davinci

davinci

With regards to Gibrlatar you have to apply for Catagory 5 status, once your application has been agreed you are then intitled to the 10,000 a year tax.

You do not have to have millions to receive the Cat 5 status but you do have to prove that you are living on Gibraltar.

The government want more high earning individuals living there and spending their wealth.

#64     Jan 6, 2006
  5. marky1

marky1

It's called a category 3, not 5. And it is £10,000 not 10,000 euros. And yes you have to either buy or rent an approved residence for your exclusive use. No other major criteria.

#65     Jan 6, 2006
  6. just21

just21

What is the effective tax rate in Montreal if youa re getting a 75% discount?

#66     Jan 6, 2006
  7. mcurto

mcurto

Sorry to create any confusion. Stuck paying high taxes here in the US.

#67     Jan 6, 2006
  8. roscko

roscko

Well it looked like Andy not only is good at predicting the markets. He also predicted the downfall of Refco.

#68     Jan 6, 2006