Trouble again: Quote.com

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Cheese, Dec 4, 2003.

1. u130747

u130747

Several days ago, Quote.com sent me several e mails asking me to sign up for a 14 day trial subscription, since I terminated my subscription to live charts a couple years ago due to unreliability. My guess is they signed up a lot of free trial subscriptions and their servers are overwhelmed.

Bert:D :D :D

#11     Dec 4, 2003

2. I shared your sentiment about the "mental capital invested." I had been a subscriber to QCharts since October 1999, and found the software to be the best and easiest to use among a number of higher-priced competitors. However, aside from the "occasional" disconnects, I had difficulty coping with the lag between the charts and the streaming data I get from my online broker. These lags would often be in the order of several seconds, which can be very discomforting while trading ES using 1-minute charts. Plus, I was no longer mollified by their promise to correct and improve their service. (I can only give people the benefit of the doubt for so many years.)

I finally switched to another data vendor, eSignal, a few months ago. Although the software is a bit "clunkier" and less "intuitive" than QCharts, I found the data integrity to be refreshing and my trading to be that much more relaxed and unfettered. Until the people at QCharts get their act together, you will have to decide on the trade-off: ease of use, or data you can rely on. Although I initially had some difficulty in deciding to switch due to the "mental capital invested," in retrospect it was a no-brainer. I should have done so sooner. For me the clincher was the increased amount of intraday back data (6 months) promised for the 7.5 version. Although it falls short of QCharts' 2 years of intraday back data, it will do quite satisfactorily.

Indeed, it is quite unfortunate that Quote.com is squandering an inspired piece of software on crummy data.

Regards,

Thunderdog

#12     Dec 4, 2003
  3. Cheese

Cheese

Came back on for me about 45 minutes ago .. thats more than the first hour and half of the market missed!

#13     Dec 4, 2003
  4. ktm

ktm

Mine is still off. Resetting servers constantly, data gaps popping up after about 15 mins on one server. It's a piece of shit right now...oh and by the way...fees are going up for it too - "in order to continue to provide you with the best customer service".

A little more lube anyone?

#14     Dec 4, 2003
  5. DanR

DanR

Today I got disconnetted not less than 20 times in particular
    from their new Miami servers.
    In the first hour it has been totally useless.

#15     Dec 4, 2003
  6. Swipe

Swipe

how many more days is this POS not going to work?

#16     Dec 6, 2003
  7. They told me they had a major network failure...I said so what! Then today they send me the new QCharts version 4.5 download (the one they demo'd in Vegas). If these guys could just get their $hit together and fix their network and server problems they would have TONS of customers! QCharts is on the last straw with me...all they have to do is copy what Esignal is using for there networks and servers. I will possibly be going to Esignal soon when I move to an office after January 2004. Now, I do not like Esignal charting (I have used Esignal before) and I hate the Esignal T&S window (I love the QCharts T&S window...I am addicted to it now). What does anyone think about Tradestation Charting compared to QCharts? I can use Tradestation or AT or Esignal, these are my three choices...any input from previous users? I want a T&S window like QCharts, and I want easy use of drawing tools (lines, rays, segments, etc), with good candle charts.

Thanx!

Chris

#17     Dec 6, 2003
  8. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Hi Chris,

Not sure how long ago you tried eSignal but we come out with 3-4 new releases each year and in 7.4, we introduced a new Time and Sales Window. We made further improvements to that Window type in 7.5 ( just released last week ).

Here's our main FAQ page where you can easily browse through the improvements we've made in recent releases. You'll also find short video clips of many of the new features so you can get a really clear idea of what the new window looks like.

Alternatively, here's a link to a complete list of eSignal 7.5 features and a link to all our archived multi-media tutorials. If you haven't tried us lately, I think you'll be quite surprised at how much our software has improved.

Thanks.

#18     Dec 6, 2003
  9. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

AMT4SWA,

You may need to look at eSignal again. There have been so many changes that it isn't the same product it was a year ago. The Market depth window and T&S window are all new.

In a down market of the last few years, eSignal has been growing the number of users every month, mainly by switching users from other desktop systems. With 6 releases in 18 months we are listening very hard to what prospects are telling us they want in the product, plus adding features requested by Professional traders.

If you call our sales group, there is a trade up offer for switching systems. We know it is a very big decision to move from one platform to another.

Also, on eSignalCentral, a number of the most active posters are users who have come from other platforms (Alexis, dloomis, jjordon) and can help you understand how to set up eSignal to be close to the layout you have now with even more features.

Also, we added things like market depth on the eminis, integrated trading with multiple brokerages, multiple monitor support, pop-out windows, a formula script to add any studies into eSignal without waiting for a new release of the product to get new features on the fly. There are over 300 new studies that can be added in.

Check this site out and see for yourself:

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/

Chuck
    @eSignal

#19     Dec 6, 2003
  10. My sentiments exactly, also agree with Thunderdog on previous page. QCharts is a brilliant piece of s/w but their inconsistent data is frustrating. The last several months it has actually been pretty troublefree, then wham, the last two days have been just gruesome.

RealTick is not much better, plus it is expensive and its charting is not nearly as good. TradeStation has great charting but I have sworn off them for life after the way they screwed us with TS2000i. Actually the very best charting was TradeStation 4. I too find Esig clunky and uninspiring. I used DTN previously and it was ok but the company was rather difficult to deal with. Maybe the Medved QT/DTN combo is a possibility? I used AT but didn't like it. I think the charting on platforms like Track Data, Xoom and Hammer is suspect, so you still need a chart feed.

I'll say this. There is a real opportunity out there for some company that can get its shit together. I'd love to see the QCharts platform put together with a first class feed.

#20     Dec 6, 2003