Trojan Attack!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Option_Attack, Jun 27, 2003.

1. An alternative if you use DSL or cable is to use an inexpensive NAT capable router (with rebates the router can end up costing less than buying firewall software - got mine at Circuit City for a net $10).

It lets you use multiple PCs on the same internet connection and also completely stealths your machines from the outside world. Even if you don't disable the Messenger service, you can't get popups. If all you've got is dialup, there are a couple of modem/router combos that used to be available that would work similarly.

#11     Jul 6, 2003
  2. Whamo

Whamo

Are you talking about Messenger popups or popup type ads that you get from going to specific websites? The reason why I ask is I use NAT w/ a DSL router and get popups from websites all the time.

#12     Jul 6, 2003
  3. I was referring to the Messenger popup attacks that someone earlier mentioned that can happen if your machine is connected directly to the internet without some kind of stealth. Popup ads are a different animal. To stop that, you can either install a popup/popunder blocker browser add on or selectively allow browser scripting.

#13     Jul 6, 2003
  4. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

password tip:

I found it's good to keep passwords in an encrypted .txt file, eg winzip+ at the weakest, I like using bfacs, eg w/128bit blowfish enryption ... that way I keep an icon on the desktop of a .txt file w/passwords in it, the .txt file is encrypted ...

bfacs free, from http://come.to/hahn

helps protect against 'if/when' a trojan or other program gets in..

also running the pestpatrol.com keylogger program can tell you if anything's running remotely ..

hey anyone try kaspersky antivirus? is it better than norton or no? norton seems great at screening email, that's about it, eg it's not found a single virus in years on my pcs, all the things I've downloaded.. though I think at least one trojan's slipped in, eg to my previous pc..

#14     Jul 6, 2003
  5. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

#15     Jul 6, 2003
  6. nkhoi

nkhoi

it is better at finding current virus but then it became a pest itself when it keeps checking for virus at start up and I can't un-start it.

#16     Jul 6, 2003
  7. Is anybody using Bellsouth dsl and windows2000 with a NAT router? I bought a Linksys firewall/router but never could get it to work. Linksys support finally gave up after a couple of sessions.

#17     Jul 7, 2003
  8. Whamo

Whamo

I have this configuration working here, PM me with the configuration you tried and the error(s) you received.

#18     Jul 7, 2003
  9. dunkin

dunkin

http://www.avast.com/ great email protection and scanner

i have used this list for years:

zonealarm
    housecall by PCcillin for a quick online scan
    purgeIE
    spybot
    pest patrol

all free :cool:

#19     Jul 8, 2003
  10. Just ran the Google toolbar's popup blocker through a nine point test and it passed on all accounts.

Although I wish it could block those annoying window resizings that some web designers still think they should do (as if their site was so damn important it merited maximizing your browser). Have sent Google a suggestion - we'll see if they add the feature.

#20     Jul 8, 2003