Trillion dollars in student loan debt. Young people can't afford a house, family.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Bob111

Bob111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKvLSN4eBfc

yeah.. they are barely getting by..watch the vid. and yes,in state college my son went on they do have climbing wall and state of art completely useless gym and sushi bar for lunch. state college
    barely getting by..

maybe they should spend less on that shit and concentrate more on quality and cost of education if they want to be competitive?

#81     Jan 31, 2013
  2. piezoe

piezoe

Bob, as you know, Fox News is an entertainment channel. If you are interested in the real data you can find it on the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Dept. of Education Web sites.

I posted the actual data for college tuition increases with detailed comments Re where the data came from and how it was calculated, but unfortunately I can't locate that post, though I tried. I did find this and a subsequent post however.
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3480020&highlight=tuition#post3480020

You are using anecdotal examples that support your displeasure with the cost of college. That's OK. You have a right to your opinion.

If your money is in a retirement account, e.g., IRA or pension plan, it is not going to count against you when your son's college looks at need based tuition assistance -- which is different from non-need based awards for scholastic achievement. On the other hand you'll have to disclose your liquid assets, income, and expenses, and that will count.

How much education you can get for a buck is highly variable from State to State in the U.S. If you don't live in one of the States where higher education is highly taxpayer subsidized, then you just might be screwed. Welcome to the capitalist republic known as the United States of America! Here is the way to get around this. Move to a State with very low taxes and don't have any children.

#82     Feb 1, 2013
  3. Bob111

Bob111

ok..i'm going to cut my balls and moving to Fargo. sounds like a good plan! :p

#83     Feb 1, 2013
  4. The Spanish have socialized healthcare and college education...essentially free yet their unemployment rate is >25%.

At least their kids aren't saddled in debt.

#84     Feb 1, 2013