Trillion dollars in student loan debt. Young people can't afford a house, family.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Sep 7, 2012.

1. zdreg

zdreg

the financial mess in the US is an indictment of both parties including the clueless former president bush who agreed to the bailout "to save the system."

#11     Sep 7, 2012
  2. As of 2011 the average community college cost $3,000 for a year. Minimum wage is $7.25 times 40 hours per week times 13 weeks of summer and that equals $3,770. Guess some kids can still pay for a years worth of college with a summer job...

#12     Sep 7, 2012
  3. [​IMG]

#13     Sep 7, 2012
  4. Fah Q

Fah Q

community college is crap though.

#14     Sep 7, 2012
  5. I hear what you're saying, but that's pretty good crap that puts $100,000 savings in your pocket

#15     Sep 7, 2012
  6. zdreg

zdreg

that is not true. if you do well u move on to a senior college or you get a job for which the community college specifically trained you.
    truthfully, most college courses are useless except for career focused majors e.g. engineering etc. after 12years of prior education a student should be able to write decently and think logically.

#16     Sep 7, 2012
  7. You are missing the point.

You do like I did go to community college then transfer to a good 4 year for the last 2 years and my Diploma says the same thing as all the other students whom attended the UC system for four years, in CA and my parents paid a lot less. The community college had an agreement with 4 years schools. If you took these certain classes received these certain grades you had a shot to get in if they had space. My girlfriend's parent's were rich so she went to the 4 year all 4 years.

#17     Sep 7, 2012
  8. Fah Q

Fah Q

this is a good plan to save dough. but i meant graduating from a CC rather than graduating from a 'named' school. family connections aside, a named school will open more doors than a CC education will (specific trade schools not included).

#18     Sep 7, 2012
  9. Agreed, except if the cc has a good name in a trade. Mine had a good program in helicopter repair, of all things, and horticulture, neither of which I took.

#19     Sep 7, 2012
  10. I can't disagree with this logic. You guys all bring up reasonable points. OTOH, there is absolutely no reason why these universities should be allowed, better yet, enabled to continue with their annual increases (that have outpaced "official inflation"). Subsidizing the student loan market, making the debt non-dischargeable, etc, etc.. have contributed greatly to this mess we find ourselves in.

Again, from a practical standpoint, you guys are spot on with the CC angle...

#20     Sep 7, 2012