Trendline Trading

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by retire45, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Does anyone here know of a platform where you can right-click a trendline and instruct to close, reverse,.. etc on price close through the trendline?? Tradestation has it but I find it not well implemented at all.. Trendlines are perhaps the most used way to determine trends so you would think this would be a VERY common feature.

Thanks..

2. This would be most useful as a trailing stop loss.. I am yet to find any way to properly trail a position. Most I have seen are linear. This way I can visually determine the rate at which the trail occurs.

3. I am not able to define trend lines for my computer programs. I think trend lines are sometimes an opinion and perhaps an illusion. I suspect speed lines might be defined sufficiently for me to write computer programs.

4. Trendlines as I know them are drawn manually every time. I am not looking for computer automation for this.

5. Check Open e cry's platform out. When I demoed with them, I recall applying a trailing stop to a trend line.

6. soltron45

soltron45

If you trade forex you can use IG markets. They use pro realtime as their charting package and it allows traders to manage trades via trendlines.

7. Trading futures only... I will look at both Open E Cry and ProRealTime.. Thanks

8. retire45, I believe Amibroker can alert when price crosses a trend line (I have not tried it out personally, just informing you from memory). Check out this thread, which also has the script used to achieve the alert:

http://www.mail-archive.com/amibroker@yahoogroups.com/msg07600.html

Edit : Just noticed that you asked for actions (close your order, etc;) not just alerts. This should be possible, but you will end up learning AFL, the scripting language.

9. Thanks I will look at it..