Trend Following with options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by luckyputanski, Apr 15, 2012.

1. I tried to backtest spreads, but noticed they limit my profit too much. I need some of those big winners.

#11     Apr 17, 2012
  2. rew

rew

If you're good at trading futures just stick with them. They are simple beasts, they just go up or down with the underlying. No theta, vega, or gamma, although there is a tie to interest rates and any other costs of carry.

#12     Apr 17, 2012
  3. What about implementing a trend following system, but instead of buying the underlying you sell puts or put spreads? Opposite for shorts.

#13     Apr 17, 2012
  4. you can use 50EMA to initiate positions. if up trend, buy on the EMA (when it is dropping toward it), if down trend, sell on the EMA (when it is poping toward 50EMA). then sit tight and wait.

SPY crossed 50EMA, QQQ too, I was buying at those level, all turned out to be good trades. aapl not yet, but 10% pullback can give you a good clue, that is why I bought 600 call in the drop at 3, sell them when they are ITM, buy next level OTM, and on and on. when those stuffs are way from EMA, do the contrary,fade them. all those things are just typical PUMP and DUMP. nothing more than that.

#14     Apr 17, 2012
  5. rew

rew

Well, I've had some good successes with LEAPs held for over a year.

Whatever floats your boat.

#15     Apr 17, 2012
  6. It limits my profits too much.

#16     Apr 17, 2012
  7. I already have a profitable system (although it's hard to believe that judging by my journal) and I'm only trying to use options instead of futures for better profit / max drawdown or at least to limit my risk when market gaps overnight.

#17     Apr 17, 2012
  8. have you thought about buying otm options to protect against gaps?

#18     Apr 18, 2012
  9. Butterball

Butterball

A typical trendfollowing approach with stops and no profit target is basically a synthetic option. If you get stopped out for a loss that'd be the analogy for option premium paid that expires worthless.

There's a number of academic research on 'lookback straddles' as a synthetic way to replicate directional macro strategies, try google.

Don't forget to factor in options bid/ask spreads and liquidity. I doubt using options is better in qualitative terms for whatever you're doing than taking positions in outright futures. It's just a different approach.

#19     Apr 18, 2012
  10. Daal

Daal

I don't know man, I always thought that the reason some trend following strategies worked was due fat tails in financial prices. With options you can benefit from that without being exposed to it, in the underlying you will get killed every once and a while and have your stop gaped

#20     Apr 18, 2012