Trend Following "SUPER FUND" down

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Apr 15, 2009.

1. The only way to bag a profit is to play a trend. So, you are saying that all traders in the long run are bound to lose. Why then waste your time on this forum?

#61     Apr 15, 2009
  2. It's all fairly simple:

1. Spot trend
    2. Try to pick top or bottom
    3. No stop
    4. Average in when wrong
    5. Ride trend until you blow account up

#62     Apr 15, 2009

3. yes, of course after entry, when directionally trading, the trade has to go your direction to profit. the issue is the relevance of the past trend--even ed seykota agrees--- trends only exist in the past and knowing the past trend has nothing to do with success--although for the non statistically but visually inclined it sure seems that way. herein lays the ultimate delusion of the market....

surf

#63     Apr 15, 2009

4. sounds like a good way to get chopped to bits.

there are 2 ways to trade--- trade to win or trade to survive. your method is trade to survive--- wont ever get anywhere in the long term.

surf

#64     Apr 15, 2009

5. Perfect--if people only knew how BIG the whipsaws really are--- big enough for the guy to write a song about it....

surf:D :D :D

#65     Apr 15, 2009
  6. surf, why don't you explain a little more about how you trade? Do you just trade looking for countertrends?

#66     Apr 15, 2009

7. its a combination of factors of which TA does play a small role. entry can be in same direction depending on other factors, or against the prevailing movement. i don't want to discuss the details. thanks, surf

#67     Apr 15, 2009
  8. Wow. Really? Perhaps you could explain your math to me. Taking the BEST numbers in your post, using 1,000 contracts for a 3-tick profit per day trading the ES, only gets me a 5-figure $37,500 profit before commissions. How did you arrive at the 6 figures? Is there perhaps some kind of "synergy" thing going on that I need to know about? Please advise.

#68     Apr 15, 2009
  9. Ok, that sounds good. Inter-market analysis, correlation trading, etc...As you know there a many ways to make money in the market.

#69     Apr 15, 2009
  10. yes, i agree.

best, surf

#70     Apr 15, 2009