Trend Following "SUPER FUND" down

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Search for scientific articles on "momentum profits" -- yes, BUYING STRENGTH and SELLING WEAKNESS, Surf! Buying/selling momentum = Trendfollowing. This is a hot topic in finance science community since the 80s since it directly disputes the strong efficient market hypothesis (from the 60s and 70s).

Attachment: "A Momentum Trading Strategy Based on the Low Frequency Component of the Exchange Rate"

Quote: The existence of momentum – or positive serial correlation – in short horizon financial asset returns has been firmly established in the academic literature. In the foreign exchange market, momentum in spot exchange rates has been widely exploited in trading strategies used by currency fund managers and commodity trading advisors.

Your turn, Surf. Post some credible evidence supporting your personal bias, none of that Yahoo or Tradingmarkets mumbo jumbo typically written by failed retail traders peddling newsletter subscriptions.

#141     Apr 23, 2009

2. To set the record straight, VN is not a trend follower and in fact is on the enemy list of such groups ( practical speculation )

I have no ideas about VN's recent performance other than what was diseminated in the press.

VN's method is solid, it appears that VN himself has a fatal flaw as a money manager despite his massive success.

hope this clarifies. time to hit the beach :D :D

[​IMG]

#142     Apr 23, 2009
  3. EPrado

EPrado

VN's method is solid ?

Final nail in your coffin Surf. Selling puts is one of the worst strategies out there. I know of many traders over the years who like VN, blew out. The fact that you think this strategy is solid speaks volumes about your lack of trading knowldge.

It's rather funny how every person that replies to you thinks you are clueless. Guys like you and VN who do scientific testing and crunch numbers are usually HORRENDOUS traders.

#143     Apr 23, 2009

4. the method is solid if one applies correct money management. VN is simply too aggressive with it, in my opinion.

time for beach and food..... take care, surf

#144     Apr 23, 2009
  5. And trend following is not, even if one applies correct money management?

#145     Apr 23, 2009

6. no edge in knowing the past trend.

how about guessing randomly direction and applying correct money management? what's the difference between that and the marketing term "trend following" ?

#146     Apr 24, 2009
  7. EPrado

EPrado

What's the difference between guessing random direction and using mean reversion ? Just because a mkt goes 1, 1.5, 2.0 standard deviations doesnt mean it will come back. I guess there is no edge in selling tops buying bottoms as well.

#147     Apr 24, 2009
  8. EPrado

EPrado

So let me get this straight. Lets say Gold is in a huge bull mkt. I sit two traders down. One I give a daily chart to, and one I give nothing to. Are you telling me the guy with the chart/idea where the mkt has been has no edge over the guy with nothing ?

If you say yes, continue to not trade your own money. You will be saving yourself a lot of losses.

#148     Apr 24, 2009
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

I thought VN's edge was knowing that the market is bullish over long time, thus selling puts would work, well, most of the time.

Thus your fav money manager contradicts your idea...

P.S.: Why am I in this thread? :confused:

#149     Apr 24, 2009
  10. Because of your ability to add a common sense response.

#150     Apr 24, 2009